Thursday, January 11, 2007

Pan-Browned Brussel Sprouts (Page 526)

  • Date: Friday, January 5, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matt's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Ronen
  • Recipe Rating: B
Ronen picked this recipe to go with dinner on Friday. These Brussel sprouts were pretty good. They had a very mellow, nutty flavor, which was complemented well by the toasted pine nuts. As you can see in the picture, many of them got a bit burned on the cut side. I would recommend watching them carefully since they aren't flipped at all throughout the cooking. The flat side burned just as the Brussel sprouts were getting perfectly crisp tender all the way through. Overall though it was a nice side dish that would likely be well-received even by diners who aren't huge fans of the Brussel sprout.

Can I just say how much I love IAP? For those non-MIT people out there, IAP is the Independent Activities Period. Basically it means that very little happens at MIT during the month of January. There are no graduate courses, no seminars, etc... Basically there are no responsibilities. It is very relaxing. More often than not I have spent IAP elsewhere (in sunny California, or not-so-sunny Wisconsin). This year, though, I am here at MIT, and loving it! Part of what makes MIT so great is that it is so active. But after a semester of classes, and seminars, and constantly talking and working with colleagues, a little down time is a huge blessing. I still go in to the department, and there are a few other people around, but the atmosphere is very, very relaxed! It is a time when I am able to get a lot of work done! Right now I am sitting at my favorite table in the 4th floor common space outside my office. Peter, Aaron, and Max are the only other people up here -- they have been the only people around all week. Well them and this strange old guy who asked me a couple days ago if it worried me that theoretical math is useless! Luckily, he's not here right now!

I am looking forward to continuing to get a lot done through the rest of the month!

No comments: