Thursday, January 25, 2007

Broiled Bluefish Fillets with Fennel Mayonaise (Page 300)

  • Date: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 -- 8:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matt
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Ana, Glen, and Genevieve
  • Recipe Rating: A-
I wanted to have fish last Wednesday night, and Whole Foods had some nice looking bluefish (well, as nice as bluefish ever looks...) so we prepared this recipe. It was very tasty. The fennel mayonaise had a great flavor, and it browned beautifully under the broiler. We had a particularly thick cut of fish, so we had to broil a few minutes longer than the recipe indicated, but it came out beautifully cooked. This is the second excellent bluefish recipe we have had out of The Book. Bluefish is very cheap relative to other fish, but these recipes prove that it can be exceptional when it is fresh and prepared well!

My estimated taxes are overdue. I know this, yet I haven't payed them. My father even emailed me to remind me 3 days before I needed to send it. I read his email. I left it in my Inbox. Every day I look at it, and think, "I should really do that." I have the money. All I need to do is write the check and put it in the mail. But I haven't done it.

This, to me, is mysterious. Stereotypes of mathematicians always include an inability to interface effectively with the real world. Such stereotypes would likely include an inability to do simple administrative tasks (e.g. pay ones estimated taxes). I have never before had a problem with such things. But right now, amid stressing about my thesis, and jobs, etc..., I suddenly have lost the will to pay my taxes. Or sort through a pile of mail. Or send in some receipts for reimbursement. It's not that I don't have time. For instance, right now I am listening to music and blogging (clearly). I could be paying my taxes. And in truth, I probably will do it tonight, because now that I think on it, I don't understand why I haven't done it yet. Having this whole job thing settled will be nice for a whole variety of reasons, not the least of which is that I will (hopefully) then return to being a fully-functional, prompt tax-paying citizen!

No comments: