Monday, January 22, 2007

Colcannon (Page 565)

  • Date: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 -- 8:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Ana and Genevieve
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Matt, and Glen
  • Recipe Rating: B+
I chose this recipe to go with dinner on Wednesday because I wanted to make the vegetarian gravy and I needed something to put it on. Colcannon is a very simple dish -- just mashed potatoes with cabbage. It was pretty good. I thought it was a touch dry -- it could have used a bit more milk or butter. Also, the cabbage needed to cook longer than indicated in the recipe to become sufficiently tender. The flavor was nice though. No one was wowed by this dish, but everyone liked it well enough. I ate the leftovers for days and it kept very well!

My senior year in college I shared an apartment with 3 other women: Emilee, Rachel, and Sara. We all graduated that June and moved away (some of us further than others -- Emilee just moved to the other side of campus!). I loved that apartment, and we had a really wonderful year together living there. A day or two after we graduated, I was the last one to move out. Everyone had packed in a hurry, and people accidentally left a few things behind. A friend of Sara's had made her a country music mix CD and she unintentionally left it in the stereo when she moved out. The stereo was the last thing I packed when I moved out, so I listened to that CD over and over again as I cleaned out the apartment. When I finally finished packing and cleaning, I unplugged the stereo and sat down on the floor next to it. That was the moment when I realized for the first time that I was really leaving Stanford. I sat there and cried for ten minutes before I got in my car and drove away.

I never did mail that CD back to Sara. It reminds me too much of that apartment and that very special year. I just can't part with it... I ran across it this weekend -- listening to it brought back a lot of lovely memories.

No comments: