Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Maple Walnut Ice Cream (Page 858)

  • Date: Wednesday, January 3, 2007 -- 9:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Mike, Tim, Marco, Vero, and Ronen
  • Recipe Rating: B+
This ice cream was on the list of recipes that I made with the random number generator. I thought it was pretty good. As you can see in the picture, it didn't freeze properly, but that was my fault. I didn't realize the freezing container of my ice cream maker wasn't in the freezer until 8 or 9 hours before I needed to make the ice cream. The container really needs to freeze for at least a day in order to work properly. So the ice cream was soupy, but it had a nice flavor. Some people didn't like the addition of the walnuts, but again that might be my fault because I burned some of the walnuts while I was toasting them, so they didn't taste so good (clearly Wednesday was not one of my better cooking days...). I thought that the maple flavor was really good. The syrup was cooked down before it was added to the custard, and you could taste a little bit of that cooked sugar flavor, which was delicious. It was maybe a touch on the sweet side, but I definitely enjoyed it.

There aren't many decisions that I have made that I really regret. It's not that I don't make some terrible decisions: I do! But usually I learn something from the mistakes I make, and that makes them valuable to me. Occasionally though, I regret the choices I make. For instance: a year and a half ago when my grandmother died I had a little meltdown at the airport on the way to her funeral and I didn't get on the plane. I regret that. It wasn't just that I felt overwhelmed by her death, but also that I felt somewhat responsible for it. Her life ended very miserably, and I had spent months wishing (praying), for her own sake, that she would be allowed to die.

My grandmother was in many ways very, very different from me. From her example I learned a lot about myself, about relationships, and about family. When she died I inherited her wedding ring. I will wear it as my own when I am married someday. Now I occasionally wear it around my neck, as a reminder of the many things she brought in to my life. Today would be my grandmother's birthday, and I am thinking of her.

On a lighter note, it's Melanie's birthday today too. Happy Birthday Mel!!!

3 comments:

Paul said...

Do you think this recipe would have gotten an A if you had used Grade A syrup instead of Grade B???

For some reason I am a bit skeptical of recipes calling for Grade B ingredients...

Teena said...

It called for Grade B syrup!!! I will have you know that the Grade B syrup was Grade A tasty!

Mike Hill said...

Death need not be a terrible thing. If she was in a horrible place, there is a mercy in a quick, clean death.