Saturday, January 20, 2007

Escarole Salad with Hazelnuts and Currants (Page 137)

  • Date: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Craig and Ana's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Ana and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C-
Ana and I picked this salad to go with dinner on Tuesday. It was bad. The bitterness of the escarole was terribly overpowering, and paired with the intense sweetness of the currants it was really hard to eat. Also, the whole parsley leaves were a bit odd. The dressing was tasty though. Matt pointed out that if you replaced everything green in this salad with romaine lettuce, it could have been delicious! Perhaps it would have been better if I had removed even more of the dark green leaves from the escarole -- the lighter leaves were certainly more palatable. In any event, I won't be making this recipe again!

I am slowly running out of recipes in The Book that have very standard ingredients, so I have decided to start stocking up on some of the more obscure ones that I will need! So this afternoon Alex and I braved the extreme winds and not-so-extreme cold to do some specialty food shopping. After our first stop Alex called me a crazy spice lady. Indeed, Christina's spice shop did yield a lot of things that I needed: fenugreek seeds, baharat, pickling spices, turmeric, urfa biber, Sichuan peppercorns, and Chinese black rice. Then on a stop at Savenor's I acquired some beef suet and veal demi-glace. Now that I have my beef suet I can make some mincemeat! I can honestly say that I have never before made pie filling that needs to sit in the refrigerator for 3 days to 3 months before going in the pie! I am deeply, deeply curious... I'm also a little concerned that it's going to be difficult to find anyone to eat my pie with me! At least I have 3 days to 3 months to try to talk some people in to it!

No comments: