Roasted Garlic (Page 935)
- Date: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 -- 8pm
- Location: Somerville, MA
- Kitchen: My Apartment
- Fellow Chef: Matt
- Dining Companions: Ana and Matty
- Recipe Rating: B
My first year at MIT I spent my January break out at Stanford. I wanted to surprise my friends, so I only told Emilee that I was coming. My first afternoon in town I headed to Elliot's house. Aside from being an ex-boyfriend he has long been a close friend and I was anxious to surprise him. His room was empty but his door was unlocked, so I wandered in. I left a Post-It on his computer monitor:
“I’m here. I’ll be eating at 6pm.”
At 6:05, Elliot waltzed in to Bangkok Cuisine and sat down next to me. Without my name, or the restaurant, he had found me. I think that’s why I loved him: I always felt found when I was with him.
At Stanford I had a default restaurant. And a default coffee shop. A default thinking spot. A default bar. Maybe that means I was boring, but I think it just means that I settled there. I settled here too, I think. But my defaults aren't so clear... Maybe that's not true. Maybe they are just different. I certainly have a default grocery store here. A default butcher. A default spice store. A default ice cream shop...

No comments:
Post a Comment