Thursday, January 11, 2007

Slow-Roasted Salmon with Mustard Parsley Glaze (Page 306)

  • Date: Friday, January 5, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matt's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Ronen
  • Recipe Rating: B+
Ronen wanted fish for dinner on Friday, and after much deliberation he picked this recipe. It was good. The salmon was slow-roasted in a 225 degree oven, which is a preparation I hadn't tried before. It came out really beautifully cooked. It seemed strange to me, however, that the title of the recipe refers to the topping on the fish as a "glaze." It didn't at all resemble anything glaze-like. It was very thick in texture and not even slightly liquidy as one would expect a glaze to be. The topping tasted fine -- it was neither bad nor terribly exciting. This dish was quick and easy, but it was not nearly as good as the recipe for salmon cooked on salt, which was even easier.

I have eaten dinner in restaurants for the last 5 nights in a row, which is incredibly unlike me. I'm not exactly sure how that happened. I am starting to feel a little bit gross from all the restaurant food though. This weekend I am going to try to not eat out at all! I enjoy eating out, but after a few days in a row I just want to eat at home. When I was growing up we ate out a lot. I'm not particularly sure why. My mother is a great cook, but for whatever reason my parents prefer to eat in restaurants. At some point I just stopped going along with them most of the time when they went out for dinner. So I fended for myself. I was also not allowed to cook though when my mother wasn't home (that is a long story having to do with my brother putting a frozen pizza in the oven while it was still wrapped in plastic). So I ate a lot of cereal for dinner. Or yogurt. Now still, after I eat out a lot, or eat heavy meals several days in a row, I crave yogurt and granola.

Despite having reached near-capacity for restaurant food, I had fun at dinner tonight. Nora and Alex are in town this week, so I had pizza with them at Emma's, which is always delicious!

No comments: