Thursday, January 18, 2007

Catfish Fillets with Pecan Butter Sauce (Page 288)

  • Date: Saturday, January 13, 2007 -- 9:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matt's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-
I picked this recipe on Saturday because it was one of the few fish recipes that I could find the right fish for. We did use sea bass instead of catfish to make this dish, but that was one of The Book's recommended substitutions. This dish was extremely good. The sea bass was delicious, and perfectly cooked. The flour coating on the fish browned beautifully, forming a delicious, crispy exterior to the fillet. The topping was slightly surprising -- the Tabasco and lemon gave it a real kick. When I tried it alone I wasn't sure I liked it, but on the fish it was delicious! The crunch was a nice complement to the tender flake of the fish, and the bold flavors enhanced the taste of the sea bass beautifully. Overall, it was a very nice dish.

The Wednesday crew came over to make dinner last night. Although the list in the project index doesn't reflect it yet, with the recipes from last night added in, Chris was officially unseated as the leader in project participation. Matt passed Ana and then Chris, to take the lead. He has cooked and/or eaten 82 recipes! This is the first time Chris hasn't been at the top of the list since the project started! It's impressive that he was able to keep the title this long given that he lives 3,000 miles away! We always cook like crazy when I am in California though... As long as I have known Chris he has been a huge supporter of my interest in food and cooking, so when we're together I feel especially inspired to cook.

Nonetheless, Matt is now the new leader. He is at a certain advantage because he lives only 2 blocks away from me. It makes it easy for me to drop leftovers over at his house, or for him to stop by and eat whatever I make! He's also a very flexible eater, which is an excellent quality when it comes to participation in this project. Further, he has the wonderful characteristic that he never gives me a hard time about my project! Matt always encourages me to cook from The Book and even when the food isn't great, he has a really good attitude about it.

No comments: