Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Brussels Sprouts Chiffonade (Page 525)

  • Date: Saturday, January 13, 2007 -- 9:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matt's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B
Matt requested something somewhat healthy for dinner on Saturday, so I picked this dish to go with the meal. It was good. I had never seen a chiffonade of Brussel sprouts before but it worked well, and was seasoned nicely. It wasn't terribly exciting, and I likely won't make it again, but I did enjoy eating it. It was also very quick to throw together, which is a plus.

Ana got back from Portugal yesterday so we got together last night to make a quick dinner from The Book. It was fun to cook with her again! Mike also flew in yesterday and took Issy back, so I got a fantastic cat-less night of sleep last night! I do miss the cat though (except in the middle of the night!).

I got an email yesterday from a friend that I thought I would never hear from again. He and I have known each other a long time -- more than 8 years now. We have gone through periods where we were very close, and periods where we haven't talked for long stretches of time. Last winter we were talking very frequently. Then one day he stopped returning my calls. He lives in Wisconsin, and we don't have any mutual friends there, so I had no way of figuring out what was going on. Over the last year I have tried every month or so to contact him, with no success. When I last heard from him his mother, father, and brother were all battling cancer, so I was worried that something awful had happened. Then yesterday, after nearly a year of silence, he emailed me. He didn't explain why he wouldn't take my calls for the last year, other than to say that he had gone through a very difficult period and that he was sorry. It was so nice to hear from him though. More than anything, it was a huge relief to know that he is still out there and doing ok...

No comments: