Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Fried Eggplant Sticks (Page 43)

  • Date: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 -- 8:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Matty and Genevieve
  • Dining Companions: Matt, Ana, and Glen
  • Recipe Rating: A-
I chose this one to go with dinner last Wednesday because I haven't been making great progress on the Hors D'Oeuvres and First Courses section of The Book. These fried eggplant sticks were very tasty! The Book suggested serving them with powdered sugar which, frankly, didn't seem like such a great idea. Surprisingly though, the powdered sugar went very well with the eggplant! The sticks were also delicious with salt. The eggplant had a lovely, custardy texture after being fried, which contrasted beautifully with the crunchy bread crumb exterior. Overall this was a very nice hors d'oeuvre that everyone enjoyed.

We had a Tuesday edition of Wednesday dinner tonight. Ana, both Matts, and I made dinner in record time and now we are watching the State of the Union address, for better or for worse. I don't like Bush. I don't like listening to him talk. I just get so angry, and I don't enjoy being angry.

Aside from being frustrated with our president, my day was good. I got a lot of work done, and I found some work that I was worried I had lost. A couple days ago I went to write-up a piece of my thesis and I couldn't find the spectral sequence computations I had done. I knew that I would never have thrown them away, but I looked everywhere and couldn't find them. In the end they were in my desk drawer, under a box of cereal. Apparently I had made a pile of important papers there and covered it up with Smart Start. Whoops. In any event, I found them, which made my day! I was not looking forward to redoing the computations from scratch.

No comments: