Candied Walnuts (Page 5)
- Date: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 -- 8pm
- Location: Somerville, MA
- Kitchen: My Apartment
- Fellow Chefs: Matt and Ana
- Dining Companion: Matty
- Recipe Rating: A
Johnny's wife died on Saturday. I just got back from her wake.
The funeral home, like all funeral homes, smelled of preservation and perfume. Danielle and I went together. Johnny stood over his wife's casket the whole time we were there, crying and touching her face. Watching him, I tried to imagine what that must feel like: losing you wife when she was only 30 years old. Finding yourself suddenly a single father of three children under the age of 7. It was easier to think about the smell. When we finally went up to the casket to hug Johnny, I found myself completely without words. I just stood there with my mouth open, willing myself to say something. I was at a loss.
I still am. What do you say to that? Her 1-year old son isn't even going to remember her...
I suppose for some things there really aren't words. Cancer is one of them.

1 comment:
That's a situation where it's impossible to know what to say. God, poor Johnny. Such a terrible loss. Your story really underscores the raw pain he feels now. My heart breaks for him.
You know, though, in the end it's not what you say in a situation like that rather that you were there, providing support and helping to shoulder his overwhelming grief.
Post a Comment