Thursday, January 04, 2007

Irish Brown Soda Bread (Page 602)

  • Date: Monday, January 1, 2007 -- 7:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-
This recipe was on the list of recipes I made with the random number generator. I figured baking bread was a nice way to welcome the new year, so I made it on Monday. This bread was quite good. It had a lovely nutty, buttery taste, and was dense and moist. The combination of white and wheat flour with the wheat germ and oats gave it a great taste. It made a perfect accompaniment to stew. I baked it for the shortest amount of time in the range given and the bottom still burned a little, so I would recommend watching it carefully. This would be an easy bread to make even for people who don't do a lot of baking. Soda breads are especially quick and easy because they don't require time to rise, or much kneading.

Mike, Tim, Vero, Ronen, and Marco came over last night and we made a big dinner. Here's a picture that pretty much sums up the evening: Mike in a birthday princess hat, with a hunk of cheese. It was suggested that from this point forward Mike should be referred to
on the blog as The Boy Who Cried Cock. It's a long story.

A note: The Boy Who Cried Cock has started blogging again after a very lengthy hiatus. For those who are interested: http://mikeahill.blogspot.com/

Mike and Tim are leaving town tomorrow, so I am going to watch their cat Issy while they are away. Jessie is allergic to cats (in addition to not liking them at all), thus the cat can't stay at my place. So, the cat and I are going to stay in Matt's apartment, which is empty right now. Fortunately Matt lives only 2 blocks from my place so it's easy to go back and forth. Mike has warned me that the cat likes to be fed extremely early in the morning, and is very persistent about waking someone up to feed her. This could be interesting...

No comments: