Thursday, January 18, 2007

Buttermilk Biscuits (Page 596)

  • Date: Sunday, January 14, 2007 -- 10pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matt's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+
Matt picked these biscuits to go with dinner on Sunday because he loves biscuits! These were pretty good. Matt wanted to learn to make biscuits himself, so he did all the work for these and I just supervised and offered some tips. They came out very nicely. They had a good buttermilk flavor, and were soft inside and slightly crispy on the outside as they should be. Matt had hoped that they would be flakier, and it's true that they weren't the flakiest biscuits I have ever had. A biscuit made with some shortening rather than all butter (as these were) is always going to be a bit more flaky and tender. They were quite good though, especially with some honey on them!

I can tell that I am nervous about job stuff because I just took my third shower of the day. When I am nervous, I shower. I have never again been so clean as I was the month before my quals at MIT. I find showering to be very calming. I especially appreciate extremely hot showers. As I am getting increasingly tense waiting to hear about jobs, I am becoming very, very clean! The waiting got intolerable only recently. I submitted all my job applications 3 months ago now, and the first couple months I hardly thought about it. Now, though, people ask me about it every day, so it's hard to put it out of my mind. First round decisions should come out within the next 3 weeks, so by then I should know something, be it good or bad. Until then I guess I will just moisturize frequently so the showering doesn't completely dry out my skin!

No comments: