Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Sweet Potato and Parsnip Puree (Page 584)

  • Date: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Ana
  • Dining Companions: Matt and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-
I picked this recipe to go with dinner last Tuesday because we hadn't pureed anything in a few months and there are a lot of purees in The Book that need to be made! This recipe wasn't a huge hit. No one hated it, but no one defended it at judgement time either. Several people commented that it tasted strikingly like pureed carrots. It's true that the sweet potato flavor was largely overpowered by the parsnips (which have a carrot-like quality to them). It seemed like a strange combination to begin with. I would have vastly preferred just pureed sweet potatoes. I thought the texture of the puree was nice -- it wasn't too runny as some of the previous purees have been. I definitely wouldn't make this dish again, but I didn't mind eating it.

The funeral today was in a Catholic church in South Boston. I hadn't been to a Catholic mass in a long time. When I was in middle school a bunch of my friends were Catholic. Another (disjoint) section of them were vegetarian. I was neither and felt horribly left out. So one year I decided I was going to celebrate Lent and for Lent I was going to give up meat. The vegetarianism ended up sticking for 10 years, but the Catholicism lasted not nearly so long. I fainted in church one week (remember that Mel?) and then got a bloody nose in the middle of mass at a different church only a few weeks later. I interpreted these events signs that I wasn't meant to be Catholic. I loved church though. At that age I had no idea what to believe in when it came to religion, but I loved being surrounded by all those people, praying and singing together. That is still one of my favorite things about being in church, the unity of it all. Today everyone was united in memory of Johnny's wife Mary, and it was a nice service.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Of course I remember that time you fainted in church. I seriously thought that you something had happened to you - on the way down your eyelids were fluttering and you were struggling to stay upright. I thought that you might be filled with the Holy Spirit and were going to start speaking in tongues or something. Not really a tradition at my church!

Teena said...

How would you have reacted had I started speaking in tongues? I'm so curious!