Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Baked Bay Scallops (Page 320)

  • Date: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Matt and Ana
  • Recipe Rating: A-
This recipe was on the list made by the random number generator. As you can tell from the photo, I didn't go to the trouble to find scallop shells to bake the dish in. Instead I used small ramekins, which worked just fine. This dish was quite good. I had never eaten a Nantucket bay scallop before. The Book promised that they would be "unusually delicate," and indeed they were. They were extremely tender with a mild, lovely flavor. We had to cook them a couple extra minutes to get them cooked through, but that might have been due to the ramekin versus scallop shell difference. Matty and I were both concerned that there was going to be too much butter, but in fact the butter provided a fantastic sauce for the scallops, and the leftover sauce was delicious sopped up with some bread. This was an expensive dish (said scallops are thirty dollars a pound), but it was quite good. I definitely recommend it.

I am coming to a deep understanding of how it is that people with addictions find themselves falling off the wagon. All I want out of life right now (more than candy, or a massage, or even really excellent Mexican food) is a diet coke. I want a huge, super-carbonated, fast-food soda fountain diet coke.

But I am on the wagon.

I have been decaffeinated for 19 months now. I will not give up so easily.

Here's the problem. Chris is my sponsor in my endeavor to eliminate caffeine from my life. But it is 8:30am in California right now and he is not generally pleased when I wake him up by calling his cell phone repeatedly until he answers. A phone call to Chris successfully navigated me through my last close call (at the Frankfurt airport after many hours of travel, with many more ahead of me). This morning I will have to rely on my own force of will. (And a can of caffeine free diet coke which, technically, I also shouldn't drink, but I can only ask so much of myself this week).

9 comments:

Christopher said...

I think falling off the aspartame + carbonation wagon is much less serious than falling off the caffeine wagon. I hope the former forstalled the latter!

Mike Hill said...

Good lord, Teena. Don't give in! You can always call me when you feel it is too early to call Chris. Artificial sweeteners are poison! Carbonation is something about which I have no opinion! Stay strong!!

Teena said...

I did manage to stay on the wagon yesterday... and today I am feeling much less tempted!

Melanie said...

There are worse things in the world than a diet coke. Seriously, it is not an illicit drug! One diet coke to satisfy your craving will probably not kill you.

Teena said...

You are an enabler. Bad Melanie. Bad, bad Melanie.

Daniel said...

Does no caffeine include no chocolate?

I decided to have some chocolate cheesecake and hot fudge this past Thanksgiving.

Teena said...

I would never give up chocolate! I am shocked that you ate chocolate though. Crazy!

Vigleik said...

Like all of Erdos's friends, Graham was concerned about his drug-taking. In 1979, Graham bet Erdos $500 that he couldn't stop taking amphetamines for a month. Erdos accepted the challenge, and went cold turkey for thirty days. After Graham paid up--and wrote the $500 off as a business expense--Erdos said, "You've showed me I'm not an addict. But I didn't get any work done. I'd get up in the morning and stare at a blank piece of paper. I'd have no ideas, just like an ordinary person. You've set mathematics back a month." He promptly resumed taking pills, and mathematics was the better for it.

While I don't think a carbonated drink/caffeine habit should be compared to an amphetamine habit, I find myself making the same choice with caffeine. I get more work done with coffee than without, so even though I know it's somewhat bad for me I choose to continue drinking coffee.

But you clearly get lots of work done even without any caffeine, which is great.

Teena said...

That's really funny! Are you trying to tell me that I should take up amphetamines?!?