Sunday, January 14, 2007

Gingerbread Pancakes (Page 647)

  • Date: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 -- 11am
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matt's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-
Matt is trying to take advantage of Ana's absence to catch up with her in the recipe ratings. To that end, he wanted to make breakfast on Wednesday. He chose these pancakes. They were ok. In general I like gingerbread a lot, but I didn't think the gingerbread flavor worked that well in these pancakes. The sour cream made the pancakes nice and moist and gave them an interesting tang, but that tanginess was a bit odd with the distinctly gingerbread seasoning. On the upside, the pancakes were easy to make and made a nice filling breakfast. I enjoyed eating them, but I would have preferred a more traditional pancake recipe.

Lately I have had this overwhelming craving for SweeTarts. I ate a lot of them while I was in Wisconsin. For whatever reason I wasn't eating much while I was in Madison, so whenever I ate SweeTarts they increased my blood sugar, and improved my mood, dramatically. So now I have a very positive attitude about SweeTarts. Since Friday I have been seriously in need of some more of these delicious, delicious candies. Now if I were craving something a little bit more rare -- say, the elusive Nerd-filled SweeTart Rope (I kid you not), then I would have to be prepared for it to be difficult to satisfy my craving. But SweeTarts are a standard, are they not? Nonetheless, store after store has let me down. The cute corner store in Inman square only had Chewy SweeTarts, Star Market had no SweeTart products, and Target could only provide me with the Chewy SweeTart Variety Bag (if you are wondering how it is possible to have an entire variety pack of chewy SweeTarts, I wondered that myself...). In the end, I bought the variety bag, hoping it would satisfy my craving, even though all I wanted was a roll of good old classic SweeTarts. The abundance of Chewy SweeTarts I have now will tide me over until tomorrow, and I am holding on to the hope that Walgreens will come through for me and sell me some SweeTarts.

Note: It occurs to me that if this is the only thing I have to complain about, my life is pretty good!

5 comments:

ana rita said...

matt will not succeed! I will be back and cooking by wednesday.

Teena said...

I hate to tell you this, but Matt and I cooked like crazy this weekend, and he already passed you! But only by one recipe!

vero said...

What are sweetarts?

Teena said...

Crazy foreigners who haven't heard of SweeTarts?!? They are delicious, delicious candies made entirely of sugar, some color, and some delicious artificial flavoring.

Paul said...

There is a Walgreen's in Fort Collins that has the giant chewy SweeTarts! Imagine that! I drove all the way up to Gillette, WY (about 260 miles) and back stopping at every gas station along they way (I think there were about 3) looking for them, and they were right in my back yard all along!