Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Collard Greens with Red Onions and Bacon (Page 541)

RECIPE #940

  • Date: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B



It's no secret on this blog that I am not a huge fan of bitter greens. But the Vegetables section of The Book is running low, so I am becoming forced to make the recipes that don't sound too good to me. This was one such recipe. I started by cooking bacon until it was crisp, then pouring off most of the bacon fat. I cooked chopped red onions in the remaining fat, and then removed them from the pot. I added chicken stock, cider vinegar, dark brown sugar, red pepper flakes, and half of the bacon to the pot, then added the chopped collard greens. I simmered for 30 minutes, then added the onions back in and simmered for another 30 minutes. I served the dish topped with the remaining bacon. Well, I don't like bitter greens, so I didn't particularly like this. But, for a recipe based around collard greens, it wasn't bad. The bacon added a lot to the dish and the sauce the collard greens were cooked in came out very tasty. An hour seemed like a long time to cook greens, but actually they came out with a nice texture. My special gentleman initially picked at this dish, then ended up eating a whole plate of it. If you like collard greens, I think you will enjoy this recipe.

Here is the recipe.

Before the semester started I made a tentative week-by-week list of topics I wanted to cover in my graduate class this term. More than anything else, the list was just to give me some idea of a potential schedule that would get me through the material I want to cover by the time the term ends. Yesterday, I was looking at my list, trying to assess how on-pace I am. This involved figuring out what week in the semester this is. If you had asked me, without giving me any time to think about it, I probably would have said this week is week three. If you had given me a moment, I might have revised that estimate to week four. But I was absolutely SHOCKED to discover that this is actually week six of our semester. Week six? How did that happen? Semesters always fly by, but usually I am teaching big calculus classes, where the 3 midterms per semester give me some sense of where in the term I am. But with my graduate class this semester they are just having one exam in the middle, which we haven't gotten to yet, so all sense of time is lost. A third of the semester flew by and I didn't even notice! It is a frightening prospect not only because there are a lot of things I wanted to accomplish this semester in my research that I haven't gotten around to yet, but also because my special gentleman and I are getting married not long after the semester ends, and I have done very little planning! Oh dear!

No comments: