Monday, June 01, 2009

Chicken Soup with Almond Matzo Balls (Page 123)

RECIPE #990

  • Date: Friday, May 8, 2009 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C+


I made this soup several weeks ago. I started by making the matzo balls. I mixed together eggs, vegetable oil, matzo meal, coarsely chopped almonds, chopped dill, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and chicken stock. I chilled the mixture for a couple hours, then formed it into little balls. I cooked the balls in simmering water, then put them in a pot of chicken broth and simmered. This soup was a disppointment. I didn't find these matzo balls to be nearly as good as typical matzo balls. The addition of almonds was ok, but it gave the matzo balls a bit of strange crunchiness that I didn't like. The seasoning was very offputting -- there was just too much cinnamon and dill. The matzo balls were also unusually heavy and dense. To top it all off, this recipe allowed for store-bought chicken broth. There are recipes in The Book which demand homemade stock, and this should certianly be one of them. So much of this soup is just plain broth that it is silly to use crappy canned broth. In summary, this recipe was not my favorite and I certainly won't make it again.

The recipe is here.

My special gentleman and I are married! Our wedding was on Saturday -- the whole weekend was just wonderful! In fact, the whole last week has been awesome! I'll write a few posts about the wedding (and soon I will have some pictures!), but everything went better even than I could have planned. The festivities started last Tuesday when my best friend Emilee, her husband Brian, and their 14-month old son Sam flew in. They stayed at our apartment with us all week, which was great fun! My parents also arrived on Tuesday. On Wednesday my mom, Emilee, and I did many wedding related errands, and Wednesday evening we all ate a big dinner together from The Book, then had some flights of scotch at a local bar. Thursday was wedding cake assembly day! (Yes, I made my own wedding cake!) I had made and frozen the cake layers in advance. On Thursday I made all the frosting, and assembled and decorated. It was awesome to have the moral support and help of my friends. A cake that big needs to have some wooden dowels and cardboard rounds inside it for structural support, and Brian helped out a ton with that. He's an experimental physicist, so he and my special gentleman worked together to make sure the cake had structural integrity. While I was whipping up batches of frosting, Brian was carefully sawing and filing wooden dowels to the exact right height. It was great fun! I ended up being super happy with both the appearance and the taste of the cake (red velvet cake with white chocolate cream cheese icing) -- I will post pictures as soon as I have some! Brian took a wonderful series of cake building pictures from the beginning of the assembly to the end of the decorating. After the wedding cake fun we finished up some more errands then went out for tasty Indian food. Friday the real festivities began! We had a "rehearsal dinner" in a beautiful outdoor area at the student union. We ate hot dogs, hamburgers, corn on the cob, baked beans, etc... it was just what I had a taste for! We had rented out a bowling alley, so after dinner we bowled, drank beer, and ate popcorn. I had an awesome time and I think everyone else had fun too!

I was up early on Saturday I was so excited! We had the wedding ceremony in our apartment, so Saturday was a busy day of setting up the chairs, decorating the apartment, doing some final cleaning, and getting ready! Luckily, I had tons of help! My mom, my aunt Julie, and my cousin Anne arranged all the flowers. Emilee, Brian, and my special gentleman helped set up all the chairs. Chris and Deniz helped with cleaning and decorating. And Vero and Philippe prepared delicious cocktails to be served before the ceremony! I wasn't too stressed out until it was time to transport the cake to the restaurant where we had our reception. It was 9 layers high and I was worried it wasn't too stable! I carried it, walking very, very slowly for the one block from my apartment to the reception site. I had a small entourage of friends around me and lots of people standing in the street starting! I was so, so happy when the cake made it in one piece! The rest of the day was filled with my hair and make-up appointment, getting dressed, etc...

The ceremony started at 5pm and it was just how I had picutred it! Emilee officiated it and she did a phenomenal job! It was so special to me to be married by my best friend, and she was just wonderful. Rachel, PJ, Juice, and Spencer did readings for us, and Matt and I exchanged vows that we wrote ourselves. Paul played the guitar beautifully as a musical interlude during the ceremony. Sam was our flower boy/ring bearer and he was incredibly cute. I was so happy that we decided to do it at home, and I couldn't have been happier with how it went. After the ceremony we headed over to the restaurant for a delicious 4 course meal and a late night of dancing and partying. The whole night was so fun!!

On Sunday morning we had brunch with the guests at the bed and breakfast where everyone was staying. We said goodbye to everyone, then went home and took a long nap! After we woke up, Em, Brian, Sam, my special gentleman (I mean, my husband!!) and I went hiking in a nearby state park. Then last night Brian made us a delicious dinner and we all went to bed early. Em, Brian, and Sam headed back to California today and tomorrow my husband and I are off for our honeymoon. This evening we are just relaxing at home, cleaning up, and being happy.

You know, everyone always says something will go wrong when you get married. But really, nothing went wrong! I guess that is one big advantage of keeping it very small and very simple!! It was exactly what we wanted! I will post pictures soon -- Brian and Chris both took pictures all weekend, and I have already seen some of them and they are amazing!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Congratulations! Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I also had a small wedding and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to your wedding cake post. Very impressive : )

maura said...

This sounds like such a lovely, cozy wedding. I completely love how all of your friends were involved in the day and that you had it at home (and walked a block with your cakd). Your blogging audience awaits the pictures after you enjoy your honeymoon. Congrats to you and your special gentleman!

Gila said...

Mazel tov!

Melissa Bach Palladino said...

Congratulations, Teena! I'm so happy for you two, and wish you a lifetime of joy.