Saturday, June 06, 2009

Mexican Corn Soup (Page 86)

RECIPE #991

  • Date: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Emilee, Brian, Sam, Teri, and Terry
  • Recipe Rating: A-

A couple days before the wedding I wanted to make a dinner from The Book for our visitors. This was the soup I made with that meal. I started by cooking garlic, onion, and jalapenos in oil, then adding cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper and cooking a few more minutes. Then I added carrots and celery, cooked them for a few minutes then added chicken stock, water, and corncobs (with the kernels removed). After cooking that for a while, I added some of the corn kernels and cooked until the kernels were tender. I removed the corncobs then pureed the soup. To get it extra smooth, I forced it through a fine mesh sieve. Meanwhile I cooked the remaining kernels in boiling water until just cooked and I roasted red peppers in the broiler. I peeled and chopped the red peppers and added them and the corn kernels to the puree. The Book suggests serving this soup at room temperature, but I found it to be very delicious served hot, so that's what I did! This soup was quite good. The texture was perfect -- it was mostly smooth, studded with perfectly cooked corn and bites of roasted red pepper. The flavor was also lovely. The essence of the corn came through beautifully while the spices and aromatics gave it a good depth of flavor. It was a lovely summer soup that everyone enjoyed!

This recipe isn't online.

Hello from Wyoming! My special gentleman and I are on our honeymoon road trip! I admit, I was mildly dreading the 23 hour drive from home to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, but actually it ended up being super fun. Bits of the drive were dull but for the most part, the scenery was beautiful. The last 7 or 8 hours of driving were in the state of Wyoming, and it was gorgeous. I also learned that I am excellent at predicting the weather in Wyoming. For instance, when the picture below was taken, I predicted heavy rain, straight ahead. And I was right!

After a few days of driving, we arrived in Jackson Hole on Thursday. Yesterday we started our day with a 9 mile hike in the Tetons. It was incredibly gorgeous. Here's a picture of me, from where we started our hike:

And a picture of my special gentleman a couple hours into our hike. The one downside of hiking with a marathon runner is that he never gets tired! About three and a half hours into the hike I was getting a little bit weary, but he was still suggesting ways to extend our route. We had a great time in the Tetons!
Today we had planned to go whitewater rafting on the Snake River, but when we realized that the high temperature was going to be 45 degrees and it was going to rain all day, we reconsidered our plans! Instead we spent the day at Yellowstone, which was really spectacular. We had planned to spend only half the day there, then come back to Jackson Hole and go to the rodeo, but Yellowstone was so huge and so magnificent that we ended up spending the entire day.

Tomorrow we are leaving Jackson Hole and heading to Utah! It's sad to be leaving Wyoming so soon -- there are a bunch of things we wanted to do that we didn't get to -- but I am excited about Utah!

4 comments:

Adam said...

Congratulations, Teena! From your recent posts, it sounds like the wedding was wonderful. The pictures from your trip look amazing. Have a great time.

Gila said...

This tasted good with out of season corn? Or do you have in-season corn in Indiana in May?

Very awesome pictures - have a great time on your 'wedding tour'!

Teena said...

Thanks! Yeah, we are having a great time!

Gila: It wasn't the best corn of the year, but the soup still tasted great! I'm sure it would be even better with some late summer corn!

Gila said...

Thanks! I'm glad you had a great trip - the pictures are beautiful.