Saturday, June 27, 2009

Duck Legs and Carrots (Page 398)

RECIPE #997

  • Date: Thursday, June 18, 2009 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I was looking for something to make from the Poultry section, and as I flipped by this one I thought, "Mmmm... duck. I haven't had duck in a while!" So I decided to try it out. I started by trimming off the excess fat from the duck legs, and rendering that fat on the stove top. Then I seasoned the legs with sea salt and pepper and then browned them in the rendered fat. I then took the duck legs out of the skillet and threw in some leeks, onion, and garlic and cooked for a few minutes. Then I added carrots and cooked some more. I seasoned the veggies and spread them in the bottom of a roasting pan. I added a bouquet garni of parsley, rosemary, and bay leaf, and I also added a jalapeno. Then I put the duck legs skin-side-up on the veggies and poured enough chicken stock in to come most of the way up the duck legs, while still leaving the skin exposed. I baked the dish, uncovered, for about an hour and a half. The duck legs turned out incredibly delicious. The meat braised in the liquid, leaving it moist, and perfectly prepared. Meanwhile, since the skin was just out of the liquid, it crisped to perfection. Brilliant! That skin was so, so delicious. My one complaint about this dish is that the carrots became rather overcooked, and the flavor of rosemary in the vegetables was overpowering. So while I absolutely loved the duck legs, the veggies just didn't do it for me. It's a minor sacrifice though for what my special gentleman described as the best duck he has ever had.

This recipe isn't online.

I am headed to Germany this evening for a week of math in the Black Forest! I am going to a conference taking place at a small institute nestled into the woods. I have been there a couple times before and it is very beautiful. I am looking forward to it, other than the travel required to get there. I really don't like flying to Europe. I don't like flying in general, but in particular I don't like flying through the night. I am too nervous to sleep on planes and as I get more tired, I get more unhappy about being on an airplane. It's not fun. Typically every summer I have one mathematical European adventure, but this summer has two in store for me (both of which I am looking forward to other than the traveling!) -- so I am trying to rally for two overseas airplane trips! Luckily today I am flying with a friend, which always makes things better.

This afternoon, though, I am enjoying a restful day in Chicago before my trip. My special gentleman and I drove up yesterday morning, and yesterday afternoon I got together with my friend V to do some work. He and I had a productive afternoon and then my special gentleman and I went out to dinner with another friend, Alp. Now we are lounging around Brad and Deniz' condo after a walk along the lake. I need to finish a few things and then it is time to head to the airport. Next stop: Germany!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

This blog is awesome! I just found you today and I'm tempted to get the cookbook to try out some of the recipes that aren't online...

Teena said...

Thanks! I am glad you are enjoying it!