Sunday, July 05, 2009

Spice Paste (Page 933)

RECIPE #998

  • Date: Friday, June 19, 2009 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-

I picked this spice paste because it was quick and easy! My special gentleman actually did much of the work on his one. He started by mincing some garlic and mashing it to a paste with kosher salt. Then he stirred together paprika, cumin, coriander, black pepper, cinnamon, and cloves, then added the garlic and some olive oil. We needed to add significantly more olive oil than the recipe indicated to get a nice paste texture. In retrospect I think we should have added even more than we did. This spice paste was fine, although nothing special. We used it to marinate some tofu, which we then broiled. The flavor of the spice rub was unobjectionable enough, but not remarkable in any way. And the texture was pretty gritty. I didn't mind eating it, but there are much better spice rubs and marinades out there.

This recipe isn't online.

After a week in Germany, I flew back to the States yesterday evening. My trip was OK. It had its ups and downs, but I was certainly glad to come home. On the 9 hour plane ride back I sat next to this woman, probably in her late fifties or early sixties, who every hour or so would take the same card out of her bag and read it. Then she would get all teary-eyed, wipe her eyes with a tissue, and put the card away. The card was in Italian, so I have no idea what it said -- I couldn't even tell from her reaction if the card contained something emotional in a happy way or a sad way -- but it was very touching to watch her. I carry a card with me from my special gentleman whenever I travel, and in trying moments I pull it out and read it. It never fails to make me feel better. I admit, I read it almost every day during this Germany trip.

My special gentleman picked me up at the airport in Chicago last night and we drove straight to Madison, where we are spending the week at my parents' place. Melanie and Daniel are getting married on Friday, and we are super-excited to be here to celebrate with them. The week is full of festivities for their wedding, plus my parents are throwing my special gentleman and I a little party tomorrow to celebrate our marriage. Busy, busy! It's good to be home. I had a hot fudge sundae for dinner from Dairy Queen, and now I am completing the experience with a local beer for dessert. I can't complain!

No comments: