Thursday, July 09, 2009

Sopaipillas (Page 615)

RECIPE #999

  • Date: Saturday, June 20, 2009 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


This recipe came off the list generated by the random number generator. I started by proofing some yeast with water and sugar. Then I warmed some milk, shortening, salt, and sugar on the stove top. I added it to the yeast mixture, then added whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour. I kneaded the dough by hand for about 5 minutes then I let it rise for an hour. Once it had risen I divided it into thirds, rolling out and cutting each third into about 12 pieces. (Note: my pieces were not terribly even, nor perfectly rectangular and it mattered not-at-all!) I then deep fried the pieces of dough two at a time in hot oil, turning as necessary, about a minute per batch. I served the sopaipillas with honey. These sopaipillas were very tasty. They were wonderfully doughy inside, with a slight crispness on the exterior. The whole wheat flour gave them a bit of heartiness. And although they were deep-fried, the sopaipillas weren't greasy. We ate many sopaipillas the day we made them, and froze the rest. They were still delicious reheated in the toaster oven!

This recipe isn't online.

Hello from Madison! We are having a lovely week here in my hometown. It has been busy though! On Monday my parents hosted a get-together in celebration of our marriage. It was very relaxed, at a brew pub. We drank beer and ate deep-fried cheese curds -- perfect! On Tuesday my special gentleman and I went to the Wisconsin Dells to go to a waterpark with our friends Melanie and Daniel. Mel and Daniel are getting married tomorrow, and the waterpark trip was one of their pre-wedding events. It was so fun! Mel and I went to the waterpark all the time when we were kids and it was great to be back there. We had an awesome day in the sun -- unfortunately, despite two layers of sunblock, I ended up with a nasty, nasty sunburn!

Yesterday Melanie had a ladies luncheon for some of her friends and family in town for the wedding. I was asked to cook for the luncheon, which was really fun. After the luncheon I spent the rest of the day just relaxing! This evening is Melanie's rehearsal dinner, then tomorrow is her wedding! I am so excited. I love weddings! So much fun!!

To add to our lovely week, the weather here has been amazing! Sunny but not too hot. This perfect summer weather makes me even more excited about the idea of moving to Michigan, where the weather is pretty comparable to Wisconsin. Yay for summer in the upper midwest!

No comments: