Saturday, July 11, 2009

Dry-Curried Green Beans (Page 522)

RECIPE #1000!

  • Date: Saturday, June 20, 2009 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+



I put off making this recipe for so long not because it didn't sound delicious, but because it took a long time to gather the ingredients. Fortunately I had help! David sent me the black mustard seeds, Brad and Deniz sent me the urad dal and chana dal, and Brad and Deniz also helped me hunt down asafetida powder in Chicago. The last stumbling block: fresh curry leaves. I eventually found them at my local Asian market. After acquiring all the ingredients, the preparation was pretty simple. I soaked shredded unsweetened coconut (also not super easy to find -- all the stuff at the grocery store is usually sweetened!) in water for an hour. I cooked mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, chana dal, asafetida, a serrano chile, and curry leaves in vegetable oil for about a minute. Then I added chopped green beans, water, and salt, and cooked until the beans were tender. Finally, I stirred in the coconut. These beans were pretty good. The dish had a playful assortment both of flavors and textures, so it certainly wasn't dull! The sauce that the beans were in was rather watery though -- I would have preferred having something with a more substantial mouthfeel to support all the spices. It was a tasty and healthy dish though, and my special gentleman particularly enjoyed it.

This recipe isn't online.

When I started this project I figured that when (if?) I ever made it to 1000 recipes I would have a big party. As it turns out, my special gentleman and I ate the one-thousandth recipe at home by ourselves, without even realizing that I had hit a milestone at the time. Maybe it was appropriate that way, because although this project has often been about big parties, and cooking with friends, it has also been about eating new things for ordinary weeknight dinners. And my special gentleman has certainly been an AMAZING project supporter -- there is no one I would have rather eaten the one-thousandth recipe with!

And although I wasn't even aware I was making the one-thousandth recipe when I made this, it was an appropriate choice. A lot of people helped me gather the ingredients for this one. Throughout this project I have been touched by how generous both my friends and strangers have been in sending me ingredients and equipment. Once we get settled into post-wedding life, I am eager to cook with all the new equipment we got as wedding presents!

I would like to list everyone who has helped me cook, who has eaten these 1000 experimental recipes with me, who has sent me ingredients/equpiment, who has lent me his or her kitchen, and who has commented on this blog cheering me on. But after more than 3 years, the list is just too long! So I will only say: thank you to you all! You know who you are, and I appreciate you tremendously. I'm not sure I ever would have made it to 1000 without the incredible support I have received. You guys are awesome!

So there it is: 1000 recipes down! Although there are still 293 recipes to go, I can't help but feel that I am in the home stretch. Whoo hoo!

2 comments:

Adam said...

Congratulations, Teena, on this most impressive milestone! As I close in on 200 recipes on my project, I continue to look to you for inspiration and encouragement. Keep on keeping on.

Teena said...

Thanks Adam!