Friday, July 24, 2009

Claritha's Fried Chicken (Page 368)

RECIPE #1004

  • Date: Monday, June 22, 2009 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Mike M, and Teresa
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I wanted to make something from the Poultry section of The Book, and I have been eying this recipe for years. So I thought it was about time to fry some chicken! I took a whole chicken, cut it into 8 serving pieces, then halved the breasts. I put all the chicken in a bowl with a half a cup of kosher salt. I put the salted chicken in the refrigerator for an hour. Then I rinsed the chicken well and put it in a mixture of buttermilk and onions. I let it soak in the buttermilk for 8 hours. Then I coated each piece of chicken with a mixture of four, cayenne, pepper, and salt, then let them air-dry for half an hour. I fried the chicken, covered, in a cast-iron pan full of a mixture of shortening and butter (healthy!). This fried chicken was pretty tasty. The first batch I under-fried a bit (that's the picture above) and the second batch I over-fried a bit (user error!), but both batches were still tasty. The breading had a good flavor and the meat was extremely moist. My one complaint is that the chicken was pretty salty. I am a salt lover, so it didn't bother me, but I could certainly imagine some people objecting to it due to the saltiness. I recommend rinsing the chicken very thoroughly after it marinates in the salt. I thought I did a good job rinsing it off, but perhaps I did not.

The recipe in The Book is almost the same as this one, but the one online is only for fried wings, whereas the one in The Book is for all different chicken pieces.

This morning I hiked some cliffs, and this afternoon I ran 16 miles, so now I am very, very tired! We are still in Ohio (until tomorrow, when my special gentleman and I are flying to England). The last couple days we were down in Hocking Hills State Park with my special gentleman's parents. They rented a really nice cabin down there and we spent a couple days hiking through caves and cliffs, grilling out, sitting in the hot tub, and huddling around a big campfire. It was a fun getaway!

Now we are getting ready for my second European Adventure of the summer. We fly to England tomorrow, where we will spend a week, and then we are headed to Norway for a week. I am looking forward to the trip, but not so much to the traveling. Along those lines, I should start packing...

No comments: