Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Rhubarb Charlotte (Page 818)

RECIPE #1187

  • Date: Friday, July 9, 2010 -- 8pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our New House!
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


This recipe came off the list generated by the random number generator. This recipe called for soft ladyfingers, which I had trouble finding at the three grocery stores where I get most of my ingredients. So I started this recipe by making some homemade ladyfingers (of course, Of Course, I saw ladyfingers in the grocery store two days later!). Homemade ladyfingers in hand, I proceeded with the recipe. I made the filling by cooking rhubarb with sugar and lemon juice. Then I brushed the ladyfingers with kirsch and lined a charlotte mold with them. I then beat some heavy cream with powdered sugar. I layered the rhubarb filling, the whipped cream, and the remaining ladyfingers in the mold. I put a weight on top of the mold and chilled the charlotte for 24 hours. To serve, I inverted the charlotte onto a plate. This dessert was OK. It was a big step up from the Raspberry Summer Pudding, which was in the same genre. I still wasn't terribly excited about it though. The rhubarb filling had a good flavor, but it made the ladyfingers a bit soggy/slimy. Indeed I would have much preferred to eat a nice shortcake topped with the rhubarb filling and a dollop of whipped cream. I suppose I just don't understand the appeal of the charlotte. I don't think they are that pretty, and I don't see the point of surrounding a fruit filling with soggy bread/cake. As far as charlottes go this one was inoffensive enough, but I won't be making it again.

The recipe is here.

What a long few days! On Friday my special gentleman and I drove from Middletown, Connecticut (where his conference was) to Columbus, Ohio (where his parents live). What should have been a ten and a half hour drive was actually more than fourteen hours, due to lane closures in Pennsylvania and a horrible storm in Ohio. We arrived quite late, but at least we made it there safely! The next morning we chatted for a couple hours with my in-laws then hit the road again. We drove to Bloomington, where we spent many hours cleaning my old apartment. We had moved all of our stuff out a few weeks back, but we had to return to Bloomington to pick up my special gentleman's car anyway, so we figured we would clean then. It wasn't a fun job, and it took longer than we thought it would. Eventually we finished though and spent Saturday night at Mike and Teresa's house in Bloomington. Early Sunday morning we hit the road, driving the five and a half hours up to East Lansing. Unfortunately we had two cars, since we picked up one in Bloomington, so we both had to drive. We were in East Lansing just long enough to mow the lawn, unpack the cars, and do laundry, then I repacked our suitcase and we headed to Chicago Sunday evening.

We had planned to take the Amtrak to Chicago, but our train was running more than 2 hours late (new arrival time: 1am), so we had our tickets refunded and drove instead. We were so exhausted by the time that we reached Chicago that I was delighted to crash into bed. Unfortunately, for reasons that remain a mystery to me, I couldn't sleep. I spent the night staring at the wall of our luxury hotel room. We are in Chicago because I am attending a research workshop, which started Monday morning. Needless to say, exhaustion made Monday pretty rough, but I got some sleep last night and felt better today. The workshop goes through Friday, then this weekend we will head back home. We will be at home for most of August and I am very much looking forward to that!

No comments: