Sunday, July 11, 2010

Seafood Cannelloni (Page 229)

RECIPE #1180

  • Date: Sunday, July 4, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our New House!
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C


I picked this recipe because I was trying to finish off the Pasta, Noodles, and Dumplings section of The Book, which only had two recipes left. This recipe was a huge pain. There were so many steps that I don't even want to write them all out. So I will summarize. First I made a stock out of shrimp shells and some vegetables. Then I pureed the stock (shells and all!) and strained it. I made a sauce from the stock and some heavy cream. I then made a seafood mousse, which involved pureeing some shrimp and scallops with Cognac, some of the sauce I had just made, and heavy cream. Once the mousse was nice and smooth I stirred in chunks of shrimp and scallop. I then boiled lasagna noodles until they were partly cooked. I formed the cannelloni by spreading seafood mousse on each noodle and rolling the noodles up. I fit them into a dish with the sauce. I then baked the dish until it was done. I admit, I was supposed to broil it for 3 minutes after it was baked, and I had done so many steps at that point that I completely forgot. Whoops!

This dish was not so good. On the upside, the sauce was tasty. It had a pretty intense seafood flavor from the shrimp shells and a wonderful texture. The seafood filling, on the other hand, was not so tasty. I am never really a fan of seafood mousse, and this was no exception. Even my special gentleman was put off by the chunks of shellfish that were mixed in with the pureed shellfish. It didn't work well. We both felt that without the chunks in the filling the dish would have been much more appetizing from a textural perspective. From a flavor perspective it was just intensely flavored like shellfish. For me, it was too much. I can imagine someone else who might enjoy it though. Unfortunately that person was neither me nor my special gentleman, so after all that effort most of this dish ended up in the trash.

The recipe is here.

I didn't particularly enjoy making this dish and I certainly didn't enjoy eating it. But one positive thing did come out of the experience: a very funny interaction with my special gentleman which we are still laughing about. I made this on a Sunday and early in the day my special gentleman asked me,
"What are we having for dinner tonight?"
I replied, "Seafood Cannelloni."
(pause)
"Oh. OK."
[Several hours pass.]
"So we're having Seafood Cannelloni tonight?"
"Yup."
He said, "I don't usually like cannelloni."
"Well, this recipe is quite different from a typical cannelloni recipe. For instance, there's no cheese."
"Huh. So it's just a flaky pastry with seafood inside?"
(pause)
"Matt, we are having seafood cannelloni, not seafood cannoli!"

Apparently all day he had been trying to picture the Sicilian dessert cannoli, except filled with seafood. He doesn't particularly like cannoli (crazy, I know!), and was having trouble getting excited about a seafood-filled version. When I explained to him that cannelloni were different -- indeed we would be having a stuffed pasta dish for dinner, not a seafood and pastry dessert, he was much happier!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

That made me laugh out loud because I thought it was something my own special gentleman would say and when my husband came to see why I was laughing, he himself said "yeah, that's something I'd do." :D

Teena said...

Hahaha. I'm sure my special gentleman will appreciate knowing he is not alone!