Thursday, October 14, 2010

Hundred-Corner Shrimp Balls (Page 44)

RECIPE #1224

  • Date: Saturday, September 18, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B
We had a seafood-intensive day a few weekends ago, so I figured while I was at it I might as well make these shrimp balls. I started by dicing white bread and letting the tiny cubes dry for several hours. Then I pureed some shrimp and stirred in blanched, chopped water chestnuts, egg white, lard, rice wine, minced ginger, minced scallion, salt, and cornstarch. I formed the pureed shrimp mixture into balls and rolled the balls in the bread cubes. I then deep-fried them until they were golden. I was supposed to twice-fry them, but somehow when I read the recipe I missed that. So I only fried them once. They were plenty fried though, so I can't imagine that the second fry would have made much difference. I served them with salt and crushed, toasted Sichuan peppercorns for dipping. These shrimp balls were pretty good. Personally, I am never going to get super excited about pureed shrimp. That's just me. But as far as pureed shrimp recipes go, this may be the best I have had. They came out very pretty, and the fried bread coating was quite tasty. I kept thinking that I would have liked them better with something different in the middle -- for instance: cheese! But as they were, they certainly weren't bad. The shrimp paste had some nice flavors in it and was well-seasoned. Overall these were pretty good.

The recipe in The Book is similar to this one, but the one in The Book has you make your own bread cubes, whereas the one online calls for panko. The ingredient ratios are also slightly different in the two recipes.

Only 69 recipes left to go!

I have fallen desperately behind in my blogging. Things lately have been busy, busy! Our friend Josh, who we lived with in Berkeley last spring, has been staying with us for the last week. He was visiting to give some talks in the math department and to work with my special gentleman. It was really fun to have him visit! Last weekend Josh and my special gentleman went camping at Sleeping Bear Dunes. I had too much to do to go camping, so I stayed in East Lansing and spent the weekend working, working, working! I was happy to see them come back unharmed -- we had a few freak accidents in the past week (one involving Josh flying over the handlebars of a bike, and another involving a shattered bottle of wine and me standing in a pool of my own blood at the grocery store!), so them going camping made me nervous! But they had a safe and uneventful trip.

Last night my special gentleman and I hosted a reception in Josh's honor at our house. About 20 of the people in our topology/geometry group came over and we served drinks and dessert. I went with the low-key approach instead of fancy desserts, in the interest of saving time. I made chocolate chip cookies, molasses cookies, brownies, apple crisp, and baklava. It was nice. I certainly enjoyed sitting in front of the fire with our colleagues, eating a bowl of apple crisp a la mode and drinking a cup of hot apple cider!

This morning Josh headed back to New York City, where he lives. And tonight my special gentleman's parents are arriving! They are visiting for a few days and we have fun things planned. Tomorrow night we are grilling some lobsters and Saturday night we are going to a musical theater version of Evil Dead. Should be interesting! I am looking forward to their visit!

Next week I am giving a midterm, which always makes for a crazy week! Vigleik is also visiting for a couple days to work. And a week from tomorrow I am headed to California for a conference. Between exam writing and grading, talk writing, usual work stuff, etc... I think things won't calm down any time soon! The middle of the semester is always crazy, and this term is no exception!

No comments: