Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Oyster Po'Boys (Page 187)

RECIPE #1223

  • Date: Saturday, September 18, 2010 -- 1pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-

My special gentleman has been requesting these sandwiches for a while, but oysters aren't so easy to come by in East Lansing. A trip to Ann Arbor solved that problem, and I made these sandwiches as part of a Saturday lunch several weeks ago. My special gentleman shucked the oysters. I dipped them in a mixture of milk, egg, and salt, then dredged them in a mixture of cornmeal, salt, and pepper. I deep-fried them until just cooked through. Then I put the oysters on bread, along with shredded iceberg lettuce, and a chipotle mayonnaise that I made by whisking together mayo, minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo, and lemon juice. That was it! I am not a big oyster fan, but even I will admit that these sandwiches were tasty! The cornmeal coating on the oysters gave them a wonderful crunch and they were fried to perfection. It would have been more traditional to have Tabasco rather than chipotle chiles in a Po'Boy, but I liked how the smokiness of the chipotles complemented the oysters. I thought this recipe was quite nice and my special gentleman was more than thrilled with his sandwich!

This recipe isn't online.

Only 70 recipes left to go!

This was the last recipe from the Sandwiches and Pizzas section of The Book! That means it is time to reflect back on that section and name my top five recipes. In no particular order, they are:
  • Muffuletta -- I made this sandwich for my special gentleman and his friend Russ as a midnight snack after they returned home from a trip to Las Vegas. It was so good! Provolone, salami, ham, and olive salad, all on delicious bread. All of the ingredients were tasty but this sandwich was so much better than the sum of its parts!
  • Falafel Pitas -- Way back in 2006 we made the falafel pitas as part of one of our weekly Wednesday dinners. These were so good that we very carefully packaged the leftovers and all met up the next day at lunchtime in the MIT math department to have another round of sandwiches. I have made this recipe several times since then and it never disappoints!
  • Chicken Salad Tea Sandwiches with Smoked Almonds -- If you asked me to name the 10 recipes in The Book that I will probably make the most often for the rest of my life, this recipe might well make the list. I made these tea sandwiches for the first time for Emilee's baby shower. I made them again for Melanie's pre-wedding bridal luncheon. I made them yet again for Teresa's baby shower. And I can imagine making them again and again for many celebrations in the years to come. These sandwiches are tastier than I ever imagined chicken salad could be!
  • Grilled Portobello Sandwiches with Sweet Peppers and Onion Relish -- My dominant memory of these sandwiches is my brother-in-law Wes's reaction. He just kept saying over and over, "This is amazing." Indeed, they were good.
  • Eggplant Pizza -- Of all the pizzas in The Book this was by far my favorite. Surprising, really, as I am generally not a huge fan of eggplant. In this case, though, the eggplant really added to the dish and the result was an awesome pizza!
One more section complete! That makes for 9 sections done, and 12 sections left to complete! I'm getting close!!

No comments: