Thursday, October 19, 2006

Falafel Pitas (Page 182)

  • Date: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Ana, Glen, and Matt H
  • Recipe Rating: A

I picked this recipe because the "Sandwiches and Pizzas" section was getting a little low, and I love homemade falafel so much! This recipe was excellent. We made this a week ago, but Matt is still saying at least once a day, "I can't believe we made falafel that good!" The spices were perfect, the patties were neither too wet nor too dry, and Glen deep-fried them to perfection! Stuffed in to a pita with the chopped vegetable salad and tahini sauce, these falafel were AMAZING! We saved the leftovers and Ana, Matt, and I met for lunch in the department the next day to eat them. We popped the falafel patties in to the toaster over for a few minutes, and they were wonderful all over again! Homemade falafel is always a treat, and I highly recommend this recipe! The picture is having issues -- will post it later today.

Last night the Wednesday crew came over to make dinner (putting me even further behind in my blogging!), and we made 5 more recipes. With those recipes complete, I am done with more than 1/5th of The Book! Yay! It is starting to look like I am going to run out of desserts first. That and salads, and pasta dishes! If I keep choosing recipes the way I am now, at the end I am going to be eating a lot of fish and a lot of hors d'oevres. That's fine with me! I like fish and hors d'oevres. In reality, I think I can predict exactly which recipes I will be eating at the end. For example: "Tripe Roman Style," "Crispy Sweetbreads with Parsnip Puree, Braised Endives, and Port Sauce," and "Tongue with Mustard Horseradish Sauce" will probably all occur in the last few months of the project! I also need to have a slightly higher salary before I can make dishes like "Blini with Three Caviars," and "Classic Foie Gras Terrine." Vigleik and I computed at some point how much the foie gras alone costs for that last recipe. I think it was around $150. All that said, I am excited to be one fifth done! A fifth is a decent fraction of the recipes!

No comments: