Thursday, October 19, 2006

Cream Biscuits (Page 814)

  • Date: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Glen, Ana, Jessie, and Matt H
  • Recipe Rating: A-
I have been anxiously anticipating making the Strawberry Shortcake from The Book for months now. Last week on Wednesday we finally made it, and these biscuits were the base for the dessert. They were good. I had never made cream biscuits before -- usually I use butter or shortening for the fat -- and I was curious if they would come out as flaky and tender as they do with solid fat. Indeed they did. The flavor was nice --less buttery of course than a traditional butter biscuit -- but still rich and tasty. They rose and browned beautifully (even though some of them were a little lop-sided!). Everyone liked them a lot -- Matt was convinced that they would go well with any possible meal! I don't know about that, but they were a FABULOUS base for the Strawberry Shortcake.

I got asked today to make my first wedding cake. I am really honored. I was so shocked when I got asked -- making a cake for someone's wedding is a big responsibility! I guess I shouldn't be surprised -- Meghan, the woman who asked me, also trusted me to take care of her three beautiful children when I was practically a child myself. I started watching Teague, Devin, and Aria when I was 12 years old and they were 3 months, 2 years, and 4 years old respectively. In retrospect, I don't know why Meghan thought I was mature enough to handle that! I guess she knew that I could always call my mother to help if I got overwhelmed, since we only lived 2 doors down! I grew up with Meghan and her kids. And now, Meghan is getting remarried and she wants me to make the cake! I feel really honored that she trusts me to be a part of her special day! The wedding isn't until August, so I have a while to figure out what I will make!

4 comments:

Vigleik said...

Will you make the wedding cake from the book then?

Teena said...

I'm not sure. I had tentatively planned to make the cake from The Book for my graduation party (which you should come to, by the way -- I think it will be June 9th)... I feel better about making a huge experimental cake for my own occasion, rather than someone else's wedding... but we'll see!

Anonymous said...

It seems the solution is to make a big experimental cake a week or so in advance, bring it in to tea time, figure out how people like it, then recreate it if it gets positive reviews. Of course, it might get negative reviews, or not as positive as you'd like, so maybe it would be better to make the trial cake two weeks in advance to allow time for secondary or even tertiary trials.

mg

Teena said...

Hmmm... your ideas intrigue me. We could have a whole month of wedding cakes in the math department! If only I didn't have a pesky thesis to write... I suppose by the summer that will be done! :)