Monday, October 23, 2006

Sweet and Savory Sauteed Bell Peppers (Page 558)

  • Date: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matt H
  • Dining Companions: Glen, Ana, and Craig
  • Recipe Rating: B-
I picked this one for dinner on Wednesday because it sounded like a light, flavorful vegetable dish that would go well with fish. The recipe was ok. The flavors were nice, but the dish just wasn't cohesive. The raisins and pine nuts were tasty (as Ana pointed out several times!) but they all fell to the bottom of the dish, so it was difficult to get a good serving of the peppers and other stuff together. Even with all the components on your fork though, it just didn't mesh well. Someone (I think Matt?) commented that it didn't taste like a recipe. That initially made me laugh, but I think the meaning of that comment was correct. The dish just felt like a bunch of things that taste good, thrown together without any thought. They still tasted good all together, but it was uninspired.

There is a math conference in Park City, Utah every summer. The topic varies from year to year, but it is always a big gathering of mathematicians for about three weeks. They have a program for undergraduates too, and the summer after my junior year in college I went there. Meals were eaten outside, under a huge tent. Everyone sat around big, round tables. A few days in to the conference I noticed that the last seats to fill up at every table were the ones on either sides of the women. At first I just thought that no one wanted to sit with me, but then I noticed that the same thing was true of my friend Courtney, my other roommate at the conference, and all the other women in our undergraduate program. Eventually the women just started sitting next to one another... The guys were very nice and friendly, but it took almost 2 weeks before they would sit next to us without hesitation.

Last week, sitting in Mike and Jacob's class, I noticed that in a room with 24 men and 3 women, the women were all sitting in one small area of the room... I find it interesting that that very often happens, particularly because I never think consciously about choosing to sit with my female friends versus my male friends...

No comments: