Monday, October 02, 2006

Pork Chops with Sauteed Apples and Cider Cream Sauce (Page 480)

  • Date: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Ana, Peter, and Matt H
  • Dining Companion: Glen
  • Recipe Rating: A-

Peter requested pork for dinner on Wednesday, so Ana and I picked this recipe. These pork chops were quite good. They were cooked nicely and the sauce and apples that accompanied them were wonderful. It's hard to go wrong with pork and apples! I was worried that the cream in the sauce was going to make it too rich, but it was very nicely balanced by the vinegar and cider. And I should mention the lovely job that Matt did plating and saucing the pork chops -- he gets an A+ for his artistry! :)

My morning started with a moment that seemed straight out of a bad movie. I was leaving my apartment, carrying my backpack, my keys, a sweater, my lunch, lunch for a friend, and the cake holder with the cake from my class in it. I made it out of my apartment and down the stairs. When I got to the front door of the building, I needed to shuffle things around a little to free a hand and open the door. In a demonstration of physics that I don't understand, one of the latches on the cake holder opened and the bottom fell out. I gasped as the cake fell. It landed, of course, face down on the ground. I stood there for a minute, not sure whether to laugh or cry. When I noticed the pink frosting all over my cowboy boots though, I couldn't help but laugh. I picked up the cake, brought it back upstairs and scraped off the contaminated frosting. I refrosted it (finally a use for all the leftover frosting!), but then my food safety concerns won out over my love of cake. It had been on the floor! Floors are gross. If it had fallen on the counter, or a piece of furniture, I likely would have still brought it in to the department. But I couldn't serve it after it fell on the floor! So the cake ended up in the trash. Tragic!

No comments: