Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Bluefish with Lemon Caper-Brown Butter Sauce (Page 292)

  • Date: Wednesday, October 4, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Peter and Marco
  • Dining Companions: Ana and Matt H
  • Recipe Rating: A

Peter requested bluefish for dinner because it is such a cheap piece of fish, he was curious whether The Book could make it taste good. Indeed it did! This recipe was excellent. Bluefish can have an overwhelmingly strong flavor, but in this preparation it was just wonderful. The fish was perfectly cooked: moist and flaky (note: we had to cook it a couple minutes more than the recipe indicated). And the sauce was perfect -- brown butter is always amazing, and the lemon and capers complemented the richness of the butter very nicely. Overall this was a fabulous (and cheap!) fish dish. Everyone agreed that it was great. I highly recommend.

Today was a great day, because I finally submitted some of my postdoc applications!!! I sent three applications today, including the NSF application that has been haunting me for a long time now! I am applying for 34 jobs (I know, I know, it's a lot, but that's about how many postdocs most math grad students apply to). So now I only have 31 left to go! All the hard parts are done though -- now it is just mainly administrative stuff (editing cover letters, filling out school-specific forms, etc...). I would like to have them all done and sent by the end of next week -- we'll see how that goes! It's nice to finally be rid of a few of the applications though. It's the sort of thing where you can keep editing indefinitely, but at some point it is better to just let it go!

2 comments:

Ken Kulmane said...

Hi I caught some blues where can I find the receipe?

Teena said...

Unfortunately the recipe isn't online. It is in The Gourmet Cookbook.