Friday, October 13, 2006

Three Cities of Spain Classic Cheesecake (Page 751)

  • Date: Saturday, October 7, 2006 -- 10pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Alex, Gunther, and a bunch of other people...
  • Recipe Rating: A-
I picked this cheesecake to make for Alex and Gunther's housewarming party last weekend. It was quite good. I was skeptical that with only 5 ingredients, this cheesecake would be boring, but instead it proved to be an example of how simplicity can sometimes be best. The flavor was excellent, and the density was just right for a cheesecake. My only complaint (and this is a rather serious one) is that the center never set... I baked it longer than indicated (having noticed after the indicated baking time that it wasn't nearly done enough). But even with an additional 10 minutes or so in the oven, and a full 8 hours of chilling, the middle was not as set as it should have been. It was still excellent though, but if I make it again -- which I probably will -- I will cook it longer.

I was looking for something tonight (which I never found incidentally) but I came accross some old journal entries. I found something I wrote my first month at MIT... it's funny reading it now, more than 4 years later, as I am beginning to think about moving away from here and leaving behind my friends here. Here it is:

"I miss the feel of T-19. That place, unlike any other in my life, felt like home. I have all these memories: endless dinners with bottle after bottle of red wine, yahoo crosswords with Em, lazy hot tubs, math on the living room floor... I really liked it there. That was a good year. And while I am glad to be at MIT, I miss that place. I don't miss people in the way that I thought I would though; I don't need them to visit. I don't particularly want to go visit them. I just want to _be_ with them again. I want to see Emilee when I wake up every day. I want to eat ice cream nightly with Rach. I want to do homework with Jonathan. But that era has ended. And as I attempt to build a life here, at MIT, to find those people I will want to be with in years to come, I am reminded how hard it is."

No comments: