Sunday, October 15, 2006

Chopped Vegetable Salad (Page 183)

  • Date: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Glen and Matt H
  • Dining Companion: Ana
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I picked this one for dinner on Wednesday because it went with the falafel recipe I wanted to try. This vegetable salad was quite good. It was designed to go in to the pita with the homemade falafel, and it was absolutely perfect for that purpose. It was crunchy, refreshing, and flavorful, but yet didn't overpower the falafel itself. It was excellent. The next time I make falafel I will certainly make it.

I made lasagne this afternoon with Danielle and Carol. Lasagne is a food that is easy to gift, and as such I have in my life made many, many lasagnes for people that I care about. I have made lasagnes for people who are overworked, or in mourning, or just in need of some hot, homemade food. I have made lasagnes for people who are sad. But today, today was hands-down the saddest lasagne I have ever made.

My friend's wife is dying. She has cancer and last week they sent her home from the hospital to die. She is 29 years old, with three children under the age of 6. The lasagne is for them. Making the lasagne was easy... writing in the card that we got to go with it was impossible. What do you say? I'm thinking about you? I'm praying for you? What I wanted to write in the card, in huge block letters, was "You and your family don't deserve this." Because honestly, that is the thought that his gone through my head over and over in the last week -- why them? I can't imagine what it must be like to be her, dying so young, or him, about to be a single father to three small children. I just can't imagine... And it seems so horribly, desperately, unfair.

No comments: