Sunday, October 29, 2006

Chocolate Frosting (Page 723)

  • Date: Saturday, October 21, 2006 -- 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Jessie, Matty, Lauren, Denis, Glen, Max M, Brett, etc...
  • Recipe Rating: B
Matt had a party last weekend, and I made mini-cupcakes to bring to it -- this was the frosting for the cupcakes. This recipe was just chocolate ganache -- i.e. chocolate and cream -- so it couldn't have easier. I had to add a bit of extra chocolate because I wanted to pipe the frosting and I needed it to be a little more stiff than it was. It I were going to do it again, I would whip this to get a whipped chocolate ganache. That would have been more suitable for piping. As it was the frosting was a bit dense. It was good though -- several people commented that it was deliciously chocolatey.

It was funny listening to the comments about these cupcakes last weekend because most of the people at this party were pretty drunk, and the cupcakes got consumed after most of the alcohol! One person told me that my cupcakes were "magical." That made me laugh. Another rather drunk person said that my cupcakes reflected "true talent" in the kitchen! The cupcakes were fine, but I think peoples' impressions of them benefited from the beer-goggles effect. I have noticed that the food in the project is graded more leniently when people are tipsy.

I find it interesting the ways in which people behave differently when drunk. As many of you know, I can't really drink much, so I am usually pretty sober at these parties where everyone else is trashed. I have decided that you can learn a lot about a person by the way they behave when their inhibitions are down. I used to be really uncomfortable around drunk people (I had my reasons) but now I generally find it really fun... Plus, after a few drinks my cupcakes apparently taste great!

No comments: