Sunday, October 22, 2006

Basic French Vinaigrette (Page 168)

  • Date: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Craig
  • Dining Companions: Ana, Matt H, and Glen
  • Recipe Rating: A-
We ended up making this salad dressing on Wednesday because the grocery store had no fresh figs. We had planned to make a yummy salad with figs, goat cheese and bacon (!) but we didn't have The Book with us at Whole Foods, so when the store had no figs, we decided we would just make whatever dressing I had the ingredients for in my pantry. This one was quite good though. It wasn't terribly exciting, but for a basic vinaigrette, it was just right. The addition of minced shallots in salad dressing is always nice, and the mustard gave it a good flavor. It went very nicely on a traditional green salad.

Tonight I had a potluck dinner at my place with some friends! It was nice to have a bigger dinner gathering. I used to have big dinners very frequently, but lately I have not felt so inclined to. Partly it's because I have been busy, but partly it's because functions like that really make me feel the absence of my friends who have moved away. It's strange to have a pasta potluck dinner without Mike, Chris, Andre, Vigleik, and Shihchi! They were regulars! Mike's contributions to the potlucks were always very unpredictable. One week: corn ice cream. The next week: a box of triscuits!

Dinner tonight was fun though. I made some food from The Book, and everyone else brought yummy things to eat! Veronique and Philippe were at dinner -- they also own The Book, and they suggested that they should start using it as a take-out menu. They can just call me and place their orders! It's not a bad idea really -- I probably wouldn't say no, unless of course they ordered something I had already made!

5 comments:

paul said...

I hope you bought the bacon anyway! I'm sure it goes great with a vinaigrette dressing, as bacon pretty much goes great with anything.

Next time I'm in town I'm gonna try to convince Christina's to make a batch of bacon ice cream. Bacon ice cream... it's almost impossible to fathom that much goodness.

Teena said...

Mark me down as deeply skeptical about the bacon ice cream! That sounds foul.

Anonymous said...

Did you throw out the bacon you didn't use?

paul said...

Holy crap, apparently I am not the first one to consider bacon a viable flavor for ice cream. Here is a story on a place in Delaware that has actually made some!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/29/AR2005072902133.html

My google search for bacon ice cream also yielded this page:
http://bacontarian.com/

And look... bacon strips bandages!
http://www.mcphee.com/items/11476.html

I never knew there were so many other people as in to bacon as I am!

Teena said...

I did not throw away any bacon, Peter, because we didn't buy any once we realized there were no figs! Plus, Matt had strict instructions to not let me throw away any bacon. (Paul: these stories about me throwing away bacon are all nonsense! Pay no attention... and bacon ice cream still sounds gross, even if other people thought of it too.)