Monday, October 09, 2006

Minted Peas and Onions (Page 555)

  • Date: Wednesday, October 4, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matt H
  • Dining Companions: Ana, Peter, and Marco
  • Recipe Rating: B-

I picked this one for dinner on Wednesday because I love peas and this was a quick pea recipe. It was ok. My main complaint is a textural one: the softness (and slight sliminess) of the onions didn't go well with the just tender peas. If the onions had been chopped small rather than cut in semi-circles, I think it would have done a lot towards solving this problem. As it was, it felt a bit like there were worms in my peas. The flavors were good: mint with peas is a classic combination for a reason. No one was particularly excited about this dish, but no one really hated it either. It was just ok.

Today is Columbus Day, which is an MIT holiday. I took advantage of the holiday to go in to work and get a lot done while the department was empty and all our seminars were cancelled. I made good progress on my job applications, and then went for a nice run. I have been trying to learn to run faster, and I am making good progress towards that goal. But I don't particularly enjoy running at my faster pace. So today I indulged myself by going for a longer, slower run. It was so nice. And then I came home and realized that there were leftovers in the fridge! Few things are nicer when you are really hungry than finding good food in the fridge that only needs to be microwaved.

It was a good day. That probably had something to do with how well rested I was... Last night I was tired and ready for the day to be done at 10pm, so I just went to bed! I slept for 9 and half hours. It was awesome!

No comments: