Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Moroccan-Style Carrots (Page 529)

  • Date: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Ana
  • Dining Companions: Matt H and Glen
  • Recipe Rating: B

I picked these carrots to go with dinner on Wednesday because I thought the flavors would compliment the falafel well. The recipe was pretty good. The carrots were nicely cooked (note: they were too soft for Ana), and the spicing was nice. The cumin and cayenne gave the carrots some smokiness and kick, and the cinnamon and honey contributed a nice sweetness. My biggest complaint is that the direction to let the carrots cool to room temperature was, in my opinion, a bad one. I ate some of the carrots when they were hot, and they were much more appetizing than they were at room temperature. That said, they were still good -- Matt and Glen kept going back for more until every last carrot was gone!

I have eaten dinner in restaurants for the last 3 nights in a row, which for me is pretty unusual. I like eating out, but the portions are inevitably too big for me. Last night I went out with topology group after seminar. I ate about half my food and then took the rest home. Someone commented at the end of the meal that I didn't eat anything. There is this quizzical look that people give you when you don't finish your food at a restaurant. Some people will assume you didn't like the food. Others will assume you are dieting or have some sort of disordered eating. It really frustrates me that if you stop eating when you are full people will assume that there is something wrong with you, or the food.

Restaurant portions (at least in this country) are too big for the average-sized person. But many, many people are raised in families with a clean-your-plate mentality. It's a dangerous combination, which certainly contributes to the obesity problems in the US. Why are we not taught to stop eating when we are full? Food can be wrapped up, and taken home, and eaten at another time. Nothing is wasted by doing that.

1 comment:

Mike Hill said...

A-MEN! As you well remember, I never finish what they serve to me when eating out. There's just too much food. If I remember to eat my left-overs, they often last me a lunch and another dinner. I wish I'd been there to show solidarity!