Monday, October 23, 2006

Garlic-Ancho Chile Jam (Page 915)

  • Date: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Ana and Craig
  • Dining Companions: Matt H and Glen
  • Recipe Rating: C+
I picked this one because the "Relishes, Chutneys, Pickles, and Preserves" section of The Book is going very slowly. This jam was pretty gross. Ok, I should rephrase that: in my opinion this jam was pretty gross. If I had graded it without the consideration of the opinion of others, I probably would have given it a C-, but the jam had some strong supporters. Craig really liked it -- he was convinced it would be great on anything. I believe he even said that it was one of his favorite things that we have made so far! I gave him the leftovers. I'm not sure whether or not he actually ever ate the leftover jam, but he did take it home with him. Other people were not quite as enthusiastic. Ana thought it was too spicy. I thought it was just overwhelmingly smoky. The only think you could taste was the smoky ancho chile flavor. Ana beautifully roasted garlic for this jam, but you couldn't taste it at all. The flavors of the honey and cider vinegar were also totally lost. It just tasted like pureed chilis... It might be ok on a big hunk of meat, but it was not tasty on bread (which was one of the serving suggestions in The Book). Yick.

I read this article in the New York Times a few weeks back that really depressed me. I was reading it in the common room in the math department and I must have looked upset. A friend turned to me and said, "Is something wrong?" I said "This article is depressing." He responded, "Teena, you are reading the Style section." Ok, he has a point... but I did find this article upsetting. It was about hand-holding. In particular it was about how people don't hold hands any more. No one wants to be thought of as being attached, or taken, so people are much more likely to kiss or have sex than hold hands. I had never thought about it before -- but it's really true. People seem increasingly uncomfortable with identifying as a couple in public. In college Zach used to always try to convince me that people are constantly trying to "trade up," and thus want to always seem single. I found that idea disturbing at the time, and the New York Times article confirmed that he is at least partly correct.

I like holding hands. Not all the time, and not in certain social situations, but in general I think holding hands is nice. I would like to end up with someone who will sometimes hold my hand.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No way, man. I hold hands with my girlfriend all the time. But I LIKE being in a relationship.

Teena said...

Well that gives me hope! Thank you for that, Mr. Anonymous.

Deniz said...

I knew I wanted to marry Brad when he held my hand for the first time. It was the first weekend we hung out.
(as you can probably tell, I am working my way through your entire blog; I really like it)

Teena said...

Wow, I can't believe Brad held your hand the first weekend you guys hung out. It took my special gentleman most of a year to get to the hand-holding stage in our relationship!

Deniz said...

I was pleasantly shocked at the speed myself! I dated a guy for 6 years and we NEVER held hands.

Teena said...

Wow, six years is a long time with no hand-holding!