Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Baked Four-Cheese Farfalle (Page 224)

  • Date: Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 7:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Lauren, Denis, Matt, Jessie, Glen, Vero, Philippe, Angelica, Ricky, Marco, Matty, and Ana
  • Recipe Rating: A-
I chose this recipe for the pasta dinner last Sunday because I wanted to offer a vegetarian pasta dish. This recipe was very good! The blend of mozzarella, gorgonzola, fontina, and pecorino romano was flavorful without being overwhelming. The addition of the tomatoes made it a bit lighter than traditional macaroni and cheese. It was perfect comfort food -- warm, tasty, and full of cheese! My only regret was that I didn't double the recipe -- it would have been nice to have more leftovers! There were a few people who weren't thrilled by this dish, but mostly it got very good reviews from the crowd.

Happy Halloween!!! I love Halloween. It's my mom's favorite holiday by far and I think her good cheer about it rubbed off on me as a child. My mother really does not like Christmas or Thanksgiving, but she's all over Halloween. I think it has to do with the candy! (If you think I have a sweet tooth, you should meet my mother!) I am looking forward to the day when I live in an actual house and little kids come trick-or-treating at the door. I love handing out candy to kids in costume! A couple of years ago, Chris and I lived on the first floor of a house and we got a lot of trick-or-treaters. We didn't know how many to expect and eventually we ran out of candy. Chris went out and got a couple more bags, but within an hour we ran out again. So we sat in the apartment, watching a movie and pretending not to be home when the kids rang the doorbell. One kid opened up the mail slot in the door, peered in at us, and yelled, "I can see you! Give me some candy!!!" It was really funny, and a little bit horrifying.

My favorite Halloween memory ever: My mom told my brother one year that he couldn't go out trick-or-treating because he was too old and he didn't have a costume on. Spencer disappeared in to the kitchen for a few minutes and reappeared with a huge knife stuck straight through a box of Wheaties:
Spencer: "Now I have a costume."
My mom: "What are you?"
Spencer: "A cereal (serial) killer."

No comments: