Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Broiled Grapes in Mascarpone (Page 805)

  • Date: Wednesday, October 4, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matt H, Ana, Peter, and Marco
  • Recipe Rating: C

I picked this one for dessert last Wednesday because it is one of the few 30 minute or less desserts I have left, and last Wednesday I promised my crew that dinner would be a 30 minute meal! I also promised Emilee long ago that I would make this recipe sometime when she wasn't around, so I fulfilled that promise at the same time! In all her flipping through The Book, this was the one recipe that Emilee thought sounded the most foul. She was right. It was pretty bad. It just didn't make a lot of sense. The mascarpone cream tasted good (well, Ana objected to the Cognac, but if you like Cognac, it was good), but it just didn't go at all with the grapes. Since the dish was only broiled briefly, the grapes were totally raw, but the cream was melted and warm... it was a very odd an unpleasant combination. The one nice thing about the recipe was the carmelized sugar... it's hard to go wrong with carmelization! This recipe was not a winner.

I am very behind in my blogging. A subset of the Wednesday crew came over to make dinner tonight and we made 6 recipes! That puts me 8 recipes behind in my blogging. Oy! Ana pointed out after dinner tonight that we are getting more efficient at cleaning up at the end of the night. I think we are getting more efficient in general. Tonight I didn't specifically choose recipes that are really fast like I did last week, but we still ate in a timely fashion. I think people are starting to know where things are in my kitchen, which speeds cooking up considerably. The most exciting new part of our Wednesday tradition is that Whole Foods has started having a special event from 5 to 7pm every Wednesday where they have samples throughout the store of various prepared foods. It's awesome! We leave the department at 5:30pm and go grocery shopping. This way we get a nice snack to hold us over until dinner (which is sometimes a little late...).

I have to admit, I was a little scared when Paul and Mike and Vigleik and Shihchi moved away that there wouldn't be many people left who wanted to cook with me here. I am really glad to have found a core group of people interested in the project. Our Wednesday night dinners are fun, and I hope we are able to carry on the traditional until I move away! Ana, Peter, Marco, Matt, Glen, and Craig -- you guys are awesome!

3 comments:

Emilee said...

I knew it! Those grapes look as yucky as I imagined!

Vero said...

Was this crap made with the AMAZING cognac I gave you for your birthday??? Damn girl.

Teena said...

Yes, truth be told I did use the EXCELLENT cognac you gave me for my birthday to make this crap. But, in my own defense, I only used a very small amount of it for this horribly unworthy purpose.