Monday, October 23, 2006

Fish en Papillote with Tomatoes and Olives (Page 302)

  • Date: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Matt H, Glen, Craig, and Ana
  • Recipe Rating: B
I chose this recipe for our entree last Wednesday because the "Fish and Shellfish" section was the one I was most behind on. I was a bit disappointed by this recipe. It was fine, but cooking things en papillote (wrapped in parchment) is one of my favorite techniques, and this recipe just didn't do it justice. The fish didn't get much flavor from the other ingredients that it was wrapped with and the sauce that collected in the parchment packets was very watery. Everything that went in the dish was good, and the net result tasted fine, but it had surprisingly little flavor. On the up side, Matt and Glen did a beautiful job wrapping the individual parchment packets. I have included pictures of the dish still wrapped, and after it was opened, and of Matt carefully assembling a packet.

When Chris and I lived together we lived on this cute little dead-end street in Cambridgeport. I drive by there sometimes on my way in to Boston, and it always brings back memories of my first few years in graduate school: quals, Bessie, etc... At the end of the street there is a huge, old brick church (and bomb shelter, according to the signs on the side). I've never been inside, but it always made me smile to see the children running around outside in their Sunday best..Today I drove by that street on my way to an appointment and there were huge signs advertising that the church is going to be made in to condos. I was totally shocked -- I'm not even sure how that's possible. I guess they will just tear the whole building down and start from scratch. I called Mike to tell him, knowing he would also be saddened by this, and his response was priceless: "Condos?!? That building is totally wrong for condos. A brothel maybe, but not condos!"

2 comments:

paul said...

I've been wanting to make this one myself; I'm sorry to see that it only got a B. I still think about the fish (I think it was halibut) en papillote that I had on our first date at Oleana... it was sooo yummy. Ever since then I've been wanting to try to cook something en papillote (besides corn!)... but it seems like this isn't the recipe to use.

Teena said...

I don't remember even trying your fish en papillote at Oleana that night. Is it really possible that I was so nervous that I didn't try to eat off your plate?!?!