Sunday, September 02, 2012

Classic Sangria (Page 21)

RECIPE #22

  • Date: Thursday, June 21, 2012 -- 7pm
  • Location: Saugatuck, MI
  • Kitchen: Our Vacation Rental
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Dennis, Aylin, Deniz, Brad, Karen H, Dave, and Tulin
  • Recipe Rating: A


I made this sangria as an accompaniment for dinner when we were on vacation with my special gentleman's family. I started by pouring dry red wine, fresh orange juice, lemon slices, and orange slices in a pitcher. I then combined sugar, water, brandy, and Triple Sec in a saucepan and brought the mixture to a simmer. I added the brandy mixture to the wine mixture and refrigerated the sangria for several hours. This sangria was excellent. Indeed, this was the best sangria I have had. I wish I had taken the time to take a better picture of it, as the one above does not do it justice. But I was rushing as the food was hitting the table so I was sloppy with my photography. This beverage had a great balance of booziness and fruitiness. It was refreshing and tasty and ideal for a summer evening. This is certainly a recipe that I will come back to again and again. Indeed I immediately regretted not having made more of this for our family dinner.

This recipe isn't online.

22 recipes down, 1084 to go!

It's labor day weekend, which is a welcome break after the first half-week of classes. Our fall semester usually starts the Wednesday before labor day, as it did this year. It's nice to have two partial weeks in a row as a way to ease into the semester! This weekend I am trying to get a lot of work done. I am attempting to finish off the items on my to-do list that are left over from the summer, as well as getting properly prepared for the term in a way that I did not have time to before it officially began.

I am also just trying to generally get my life in order. I was away so much this summer that things piled up. Indeed, check out the state of my desk at home:


I spent a big chunk of time yesterday trying to sort through everything. Progress was slow. I know that getting my life organized is neither the most urgent nor the most important thing on my to-do list. But feeling organized and on top of things does clear up mental space for me, allowing me to do all of the other (important, urgent) tasks more efficiently. So this weekend I will work some more on getting organized, both by sorting and cleaning, but also by thinking about how I want to structure my time this semester, what my goals for the term should be, and how to best achieve them.

I am also making it a priority this weekend to take some time to relax. There are dozens of things that I should be doing for work. But I can see already that this semester is going to be a busy one, and I need to rest up a bit before the reality of the semester fully sets in. If I don't go into this term at least a little bit rested, it could be a rough one!

No comments: