Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Crispy Seltzer Waffles (Page 661)

RECIPE #24
  • Date: Sunday, June 24, 2012 -- 10am
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


We were in the mood for waffles one day, so I threw together this quick recipe. I whisked together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Then I added melted buter, eggs, and seltzer. I whisked the batter until it was smooth. I oiled the waffle iron and cooked the waffles in batches. I had high hopes for this recipe, but it was disappointing. I had two big issues with these waffles. For one, they were incredibly bland. True, dousing them in syrup gave them some flavor, but the waffles themselves had no flavor at all. They weren't buttery, or yeasty, or sweet, or vanilla-y. They were bland. My other complaint was that they were way too crispy for my taste. Sure I like a slightly crispy waffle once in a while (I certainly ate a lot of Eggos as a kid), but these were downright crunchy. I didn't care for their texture at all. All that said, they were still waffles! They didn't taste bad and they didn't last long in our house. I just won't be making them again.

This recipe isn't online.

24 recipes down, 1082 to go!

I hate to say this, for fear of cursing it, but I am starting to find a rhythm for this semester. I'm only about a week into it, so I certainly won't say I have everything under control yet. And it is looking to me like this semester is going to be a lot of work. But I am starting to get a feel for how it will go. I am settling in to my routine. While I have been working a lot since we got home a week and a half ago, the strain of it is lessened by the incredibly luxurious feeling of being at home! I'm not traveling too much this semester (at least, as far I know right now!), and I am very much looking forward to having some time at home. It seems particularly special to have time at home with my special gentleman this semester because next semester he will be away. He is spending most of the spring semester in Stonybrook, New York. There is a special program there in his research area, so lots of the experts will gather in Stonybrook for the term. I have debated about whether or not I want to move to Stonybrook with him for the semester, but I think I am going to stay here. We'll visit each other often. It will be fine I'm sure. We lived apart for over two years not so long ago, so a few months isn't such a big deal. That said, I am making sure to appreciate the time we have together this semester, living in the same place!

No comments: