Sunday, September 23, 2012

Skirt Steak with Red Wine Sauce (Page 445)

RECIPE #26

  • Date: Sunday, June 24, 2012 --7pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our House
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I was in the mood for some skirt steak earlier this summer so I picked this recipe for dinner one evening. I seasoned the steak with salt and pepper then cooked it in a skillet with vegetable oil until it was medium-rare. I moved the meat to a platter and poured off the fat from skillet. I then added red wine, thyme sprigs, bay leaf, sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. I deglazed the pan, then reduced the pan sauce. To finish the sauce I added the meat juices that had accumulated on the platter, discarded the bay leaf and thyme and stirred in some butter, salt, and pepper. This steak was tasty. The sauce had a nice flavor to it and the meat was cooked just right. There was nothing terribly exciting about this dish but if you are looking for a simple steak + pan sauce recipe for a quick dinner, this is a solid recipe. It's hard to go wrong with steak and red wine.

The recipe is here.

26 recipes down, 1080 to go!

I haven't blogged in a long time. It's not that I don't have anything to blog about. On the contrary, I have a rather lengthy backlog of recipes I have made that need to be posted. I haven't blogged because things around here have been kind of shitty lately. It's hard to motivate to reflect on one's life when things are going badly. For me, it's hard to motivate to reflect on anything at all in that situation. But here I am, writing, if only to say that I am still here, and I am going to make an effort to blog more.

In reality, things aren't so bad. Nothing disastrous has happened. Just a series of things that have been scary, sad, frustrating, or demoralizing, from various realms of life. Taken all together, it has been a bit much. On top of it, I have too much work to do. I am feeling overextended, which isn't an unfamiliar feeling for me. But right now, at a time when I could desperately use a day off to relax and regroup, I just can't take one, and that's hard. Well, I could I suppose. But then I would be even more behind, and would feel even worse. So I have spent this weekend with my ass in a chair, sitting in my office at home, drinking pots of decaf coffee, and plowing through my list of things that need to get done. I am making progress, which is a good feeling.

And generally speaking, things are looking up I think. Right now I am sitting in an armchair in my home office, drinking coffee out of a mug I've had since college, eating skittles from the gumball machine in my office, and taking a little break to write this. It's nice. I've got my space heater turned way up so it is toasty warm in here. And although I have several more hours of work ahead of me on this fall Sunday evening, I feel pretty good about things right now. Here's hoping that this coming week is better than the last one.

Back to work.


3 comments:

kingshearte said...

Just popping in to offer you a virtual hug. Also to recommend that even if you can't afford a whole day off, at least take an hour here and there, if you haven't already been doing so. Good luck!

Teena said...

Thanks!

Karen Shaffer said...

I wish I had a few words of encouragement to give you that wouldn't seem cliché. I've read all of your Gourmet blog posts and have always been amazed by you and all you do.

I know when I need a break from stress, a long, hot, bubblebath helps me.

I hope things are improving for you...

~Karen :-)