Thursday, August 21, 2008

Corn on the Cob with Cheese and Lime (Page 536)

RECIPE #811

  • Date: Friday, August 15, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Emilee and Brian
  • Recipe Rating: A-

When my special gentleman and I met, I was already well into this project. He and I have been together just short of two years now, and from the beginning of that time, he has always been an eager project participant. Less than a month after we started dating, he was flipping through the Vegetables section of The Book and he picked out two recipes that he wanted me to be sure not to make without him. The first: Potato Latkes. The second: this Corn on the Cob with Cheese and Lime. These, he informed me, are two of his favorite dishes.
"You won't make them without me, will you?"
"No, not if you want to try them."
"Promise?"
"I promise."
Fast forward a couple months to December of that year. We hadn't been dating long enough that it really made sense to spend Christmas as a couple, so we each went home individually to our respective families. He left Boston for his hometown before I did, and I was lonely without him. But a friend emailed me that he was hosting a party -- a latke party! And without a second thought I responded to the invitation: "There is a latke recipe in The Book! Can we make that?" In fact there is not just one, but actually two different latke recipes in The Book (one traditional potato and one sweet potato) and we made both of them that night. Without my special gentleman. It wasn't until I talked to him on the phone the next day, raving about the potato latkes that I realized my mistake. I had completely forgotten my promise!

Now, more than a year and a half later, I think I have been forgiven. But needless to say, if I had made this corn without my special gentleman, I would have been in the doghouse! He has been asking me to make this all summer, but it requires a special set of circumstances. One, it requires a grill, which I don't have. Two, it requires crema, which isn't easy to find (The Book allows the substitution of mayonnaise for delicious Mexican crema, but that just seems wrong). Three, it requires my special gentleman and I to both be in the same place, with the grill, and the crema. Luckily, this past week the stars aligned. We were both in California (where crema is possible to find), staying with Em and Brian, who have a grill. So I made this corn for my special gentleman!

This recipe is quite simple. We grilled the corn, then brushed it with a mixture of crema and cayenne. The cobs were then sprinkled with cotija or feta cheese (in our case, feta), and finished with a squeeze of lime. The result: yummy! Matty and I eat this dish often at our favorite high-end Mexican place, and this version was equally as good as theirs. It could have supported a bit more cayenne, but it did have some heat to it. The crema was excellent on the corn, and the feta gave it a delicious saltiness. I am deeply skeptical that this would be good with mayonnaise in place of crema, but The Book suggests it as a substitution. All four of us enjoyed this corn quite a bit. I am always partial to plain corn on the cob with butter and salt, but this corn dish was also delicious, and I will happily make it again.

The recipe is here.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Teena,

I made this tonight for my husband and myself and it was reeeealy good! I used a cast iron grill (made by Lodge) and 'grilled' it inside on the stove.

This is something I may not have ever tried without some encouragement, so thank you for that! :-)

Teena said...

I am glad you liked it! I thought this was a great summer recipe and I look forward to making it again soon myself!