Sunday, August 03, 2008

Swedish Meatballs (Page 58)

RECIPE #799

  • Date: Sunday, July 27, 2008 -- 5pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Scarecrow, Russ, Grant, Mitch, Carrie, Alex, Paps, and Juice
  • Recipe Rating: B

Mmmmm... meatballs. When I tried to think of food appropriate for a bachelor party, meatballs were one of the first things that came to mind. Luckily, I still had this meatball recipe left to make. These meatballs are meant to be an hors d'oeuvre, but we had more of a buffet-style meal, so I just added them to the table. The recipe was very simple. I ground fresh breadcrumbs then let them sit in some heavy cream and club soda (why do meatballs so often have club soda in them?) for about 20 minutes. Then I mixed in some chopped onion, ground beef, ground pork, and ground veal. After forming them into little balls I baked them until they were browned and cooked through, then drizzled them with pan juices. Overall, these were pretty solid meatballs. They had a good flavor and were nice and juicy. They didn't have a lot of caramelized brownness to them though. I think they would have been better had they been browned on the stovetop before they were baked. That would have taken a while with so many tiny meatballs, but it would have been worth it. As it was, I felt that there could have been more meat flavor coming out of the little meatballs. They certainly weren't bad, but they were also not the best meatballs I can imagine.

This recipe isn't online.

Most relationships start with a period of infatuation. In my experience this period, which can last a few days, a few weeks, or even a few months, is full of blissful ignorance. Everything seems perfect and happy and it is easy to be optimistic. The true test of a relationship is how it looks after that period ends. Eventually you ask yourself, "Is this really the right partnership for me?"

I am reaching that point in my relationship with running. I just finished week 13 of my training, which means that I did my 65th run today. And I have to admit, my optimism is waning. Around week 6 or so I was loving it. I was eager to run every day. I had visions of myself as a life-long runner. But now I am running more than 20 miles a week, and I am tired. Don't get me wrong -- I am not quitting. This half-marathon I am training for is a non-negotiable. Barring some serious, serious injury, I will run it. But it is getting hard. This week was especially rough. I had a little rollover from last week, so in the past 7 days I ran 6, 2, 5, 3, 4, rest, 7. That's 27 miles with only one rest day.

I am still hopeful that I will emerge from this period of reflection with even more faith in my relationship with running. Right now, though, I am struggling...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep it up, TG!

mkd said...

Similar to a romantic relationship, running has its ups and downs. Sometimes you have to figure out if you're going to stick with the bad times in hopes of good times in the future. I had a miserable running week last week and nearly just gave up, but my friend encouraged choose between the thought of seeing the race morning with 18 weeks of solid training versus getting to that day and knowing that I slacked and if I had only stuck with my program, I would be better off. I chose the first option and just kept at it. And thankfully, I'm back to loving running again. It is a complicated relationship and as long as you remember that it is, you can deal with the rough patches and keep on keepin' on.

Teena said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I think my relationship with running is on the upswing again. I am definitely feeling better about it than I was...

Liz C said...

Wow - I'm in week 16 of my (very casual) running regimen and am feeling much like you are. I hurt my back early in week 14, then had to go out of town on business with no running. It's been really tough to get going again.

I am so glad to hear I'm not alone!

Teena said...

Yeah, I feel your pain. I ended up taking a week off because we were traveling all over the place, but now I am paying for it! It is definitely difficult to motivate if you lose momentum.