Sunday, August 24, 2008

Grilled Rib-Eye with Bearnaise Butter (Page 434)

RECIPE #812

  • Date: Friday, August 15, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companion: Emilee and Brian
  • Recipe Rating: B

When eating with Emilee and Brian I always feel compelled to make steak. And since they have a grill, grilled steak seemed like the natural choice. I believe that this is the last of the grilled steaks in The Book, so that made recipe selection easy. I had high hopes for this recipe -- Matty and I made some amazing rib-eye from The Book just a few weeks ago so I figured if this recipe was a fraction as good as that one we would be in luck. Unfortunately, though, this recipe was a bit disappointing. It was simple enough -- grilled steak topped with a compound butter that tasted predominantly of tarragon. Here's the thing though: steak is already so rich, and rib-eye is not a particularly lean steak. Does it really need BUTTER on top of it? I have certainly never eaten a steak and thought to myself, "Man, I wish I had some butter to spread on this steak!" I know it's classical, but it's a little absurd, no? I'm sure I would have come around to it if the compound butter had an amazing flavor, but it really didn't. None of us were particularly impressed with the pairing of steak and tarragon, and the strong tarragon flavor in the butter overwhelmed the tasty meat. Don't get me wrong, this dish wasn't bad. I ate it and enjoyed it. But there are so many much better things that could have been done with the piece of meat you see above that I can't in good faith recommend this particular recipe.

The recipe is here.

Hello from Mackinac Island! It has been a super-fun weekend up here on Mackinac (a small island in lake Huron). One of the unique things about Mackinac is that there are no motor vehicles allowed on the island. So after arriving by ferry on Friday afternoon we took a horse-drawn taxi up to the house where we have been staying. Matty has a friend whose parents live on the island in an AMAZING house (and I seriously mean amazing -- it's huge, and gorgeous, and practically every room has a fantastic view of the lake) and they graciously allowed us to stay with them this weekend.

Friday evening there was the wedding rehearsal and dinner, and then yesterday was the wedding! Brad and Deniz did and amazing job planning, and the wedding was lovely! The ceremony was outside, overlooking a huge lawn, the lake, and a beautiful bridge. The reception was on the same grounds, in a big tent where there was lots of food and dancing! Afterwards we all headed into town for after hours at a local bar. It was a good time!

Most people have been getting around on horse taxi, but Matty and I borrowed some bikes from the people we are staying with and have been biking everywhere. It is about two miles from the house to the downtown area, and the bike trail is not lighted. So at night it's dark. Very dark. I got used to it after a couple rides, but certainly the first time we rode through the woods in the pitch black I was thinking to myself, "Is this really a good idea?" At 2am last night, biking home from the bar, I realized that I could get a little light from my cell phone. But then I realized that with that little light I could see the bats flying in front of me, and then I decided that maybe it was better to be in the dark!

Despite the bats it was an awesome weekend -- it's always fun to hang out with Matty's family, and seeing his brother and Deniz get married was really special! Plus, Mackinac is just an awesome place. It is fantastically beautiful, and has a very unique atmosphere. Now, though, I am tired, and definitely ready to hit the road and head back to Indiana!

2 comments:

Deniz said...

I'm so glad you guys had a good time! It was so nice to celebrate with you and Matt. We had so much fun! Thanks so much for all the photos you took Friday night; they turned out so well! And, the Saturday photo with you in it with the Hedden fam is awesome!
Btw...we had a little bat incident ourselves Thursday at dinner with the parents. Several bats got INSIDE the restaurant. The first one was very frightened and flying like crazy. It landed on the windowsill right behind us. Brad was not happy about this. One of the waiters was finally able to get it out by opening the door it came in, but then another one flew in. Sigh-what an adventure!

Teena said...

We had a great time too!

Wow, bats in the restaurant, huh? I am pretty sure that would make me lose my appetite!