Monday, September 15, 2008

Chicken Pie with Biscuit Crust (Page 374)

RECIPE #828

  • Date: Sunday, September 7, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-

Since the Poultry section of The Book is the one that I the most behind on, I am making an effort to cook more from it. This selection was part of that effort. My special gentleman and I often go running after work and then cook dinner once we get back from our run. A couple weekends ago I foolishly thought we could do our long run on Sunday evening, then come home and make this dish. Unfortunately, the 9 mile run that I did, and the 18 mile run that my special gentleman did that day took all of the life out of us. Afterwards we were both dehydrated, calorie-deprived, and ill. And yet I had chosen a dish that takes about an hour and a half to make. I started cooking, figuring I would feel better after a few glasses of Gatorade. But 15 minutes into the recipe, I was so dizzy that I set down my knife and retired to a very comfy spot on the floor. My special gentleman took over from there and made it about 15 minutes himself before feeling too ill to continue. We should have just given up, put what we had made so far in the refrigerator, and ordered take-out. But we are stubborn and determined people, and so we continued to cook dinner, moving slowly and taking frequent breaks. It was a truly miserable experience.

Luckily this recipe wasn't so difficult. A yummy mixture of vegetables was cooked in chicken stock, and then stirred together with some cubed cooked chicken. A roux thickened up the stock to form a nice base sauce for the dish. The chicken and vegetable mixture was poured in a baking dish and topped with some quick-to-make cheddar biscuit rounds. The whole thing got baked until the biscuits were browned and the sauce was bubbly. The result: deliciousness! This was comfort food at its best. The chicken and vegetable mixture was hearty and flavorful. The biscuits were flaky, cheesy, and absolutely delicious. The two components melded perfectly to form something down-home and comforting. It was even delicious reheated the next day (surprisingly -- I had expected the biscuits would be soggy and unappealing, but no, it was still great). Matty thought the dish had a little too much parsley, and I won't disagree with him there, but we both agreed that it was still awesome! This is quicker to make than a chicken pot pie (as the biscuits are easier to deal with than a pie crust), and in my opinion, also better. We had a shitty time making this recipe, but it was worth it!

Here is the recipe.

I am somewhere between Indianapolis and Phoenix, in an airplane, en route to California. I am headed out to Berkeley this week to give a seminar. This is my fourth California trip in the last seven months, and indeed it is one of my favorite places to visit. This trip is much too short though. I had to teach this afternoon, so I flew out in the evening. I will spend Tuesday and Wednesday at Berkeley and then fly back to Indianapolis on Thursday so that I can teach Friday. I considered staying longer, and having the people who are covering my classes on Wednesday cover them on Friday also, but it's hard on the students when the person that they are used to is away, so I scheduled my trip so that I could make it back.

This also marks the end of a blissful 4 and a half months of living in the same place as my special gentleman. When I flew out for California today, he flew out for Boston. And so we embark on another semester of long-distance relationship. Ick. Actually, it is not so bad. He is spending half-time in Bloomington this term so he will be back in no time. Nonetheless it is more fun having him around, and I was very sad to see him go.

On the upside, I will get to see baby Sam this week, who I have missed very much in the month since I was last in California (and Emilee, Brian, and Chris, who I have also missed, but who aren't quite as cute as Sam!).

1 comment:

Sara said...

Your pie looks great, my husband loves dishes like this!